Author Topic: Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory  (Read 11462 times)

Offline jatbexley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am interested in Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory, mainly because my mother’s family ( Newman) lived in Kersey Priory from the early 1700s up to just before the end of the 19th century and I am trying to fill in some details of this family.

This is my first post on Rootschat so I apologise in advance if the procedure or style is incorrect.

I have progressed most of my other family trees but left this one because I did have some information from my mother. This is in the form of a handwritten family tree which all checks out so far – probably post WW2 – taken I was told from an old family bible. Since our branch had long lost touch with any Newmans I am not sure how she possessed this tree, nor wrote that the Newmans had lived in Kersey Priory from 1707.

I did find Richard Newman ( ID: I1771?) born in Kersey Priose in 1741 ( we think Dec 1740), died in 1804 and parents Richard Newman and Elizabeth Clark of Kersey Priose. The parents agree with my tree so it suggests the Newmans were in Kersey Priory by 1740 at the latest.

I found that Richard Newman and Elizabeth Clark were married in Hadleigh in 1738 (Boyd’s).

My interest is how the Newmans became copyholders of Kersey Priory and when, and whether Elizabeth Clark is any relation to Peregrine Clarke. My records have Elizabeth Clark born 1697 and died 1775 and was dau of George Clark and Eliz Brand ( ? unclear).

I doubt there is any connection but I have not found out how the Newmans just popped up in Kersey Priory in the early 1700s.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory died in 1680 and his wife, Mary, married again. I honestly don't know what happened to the Priory - it had been in the family of Mary's first husband, John Parke esq and I've presumed that it was left to Abigail Abbott (Abutt) nee Parke, the only surviving child of Mary's first marriage. If you check out this website http://linux02.lib.cam.ac.uk/earlscolne/contents.htm you can see that Abigail sued her mother over the deeds to various properties but I don't know what happened in the end.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline jatbexley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for quick reply. It at least narrows a bit my search.

Offline andrewnewman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 June 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello to jatbexley

I don't know anything about Peregrine Clarke, but I am a descendant in the male line of the Newmans of Kersey Priory.  You say they were your mother's family, in which case I should be interested in getting in touch.

Offline jatbexley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 June 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Andrew, Hi.
If you are the AN I think you are you met my niece, Helen, and my sister , Jean, and my mother, Doris,  in Sept 2009. My mother died aged 96 in April 2013. You I think gave an updated tree to Helen in 2009.

My mother had a handwritten tree which must have been post 1950. I do not know where this came from because I did not think she was in touch with any of the Newman family. This handwritten tree had some dates and names not in your tree but yours is far more comprehensive. My mother had written that the Newmans had been in Kersey Priory from 1707 but not idea how she knew that and not convinced it is true although they were there in the early 18th C.

In the last 2 years I have started to try to find out where the Newmans came from before Kersey and how they came in possession of the Priory and lands. I have had found some marriages and births but main aims not achieved. I went to Bury St Edmund's records office but found nothing useful.

However, if I have the wrong Andrew Newman please let me know.
Regards,
Jim

Offline andrewnewman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 June 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

That explains it, and I do know who you are, my second cousin Jim Smithers.

Can I suggest we have a direct contact via email? 
please contact me by Private message
and I will try to answer some of your questions.

Best wishes,

Andrew