Author Topic: MEACLEM  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Double Irish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MEACLEM
« on: Thursday 16 January 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching this name, (my ancestors) - who came to New Zealand in 1872/1873 - two sailings.  I can find the eldest son's marriage Robert MEACLEM to Sarah IRWIN.  I also found the death of his father Thomas MEACLEM.  All in 1872/1873.  Thomas and Robert are listed as 'millwrights'.  Thomas was married to Rose (Rosalind?) McKelvy?  They lived in various areas; Cavan, Roscommon, Bailieborough, and a few other places until they left.  I am not sure of other spellings, there are three ways the surname is said.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MEACLEM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
"I can find the eldest son's marriage Robert MEACLEM to Sarah IRWIN.  ..."  Where?

"I also found the death of his father Thomas MEACLEM.."  Where??

Religion??

Withholding critical clues makes it harder for anyone trying to help..
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Double Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thomas MEACLEM married Rose McKELVY her parents were Samuel McKELVY and Jane BLOOMER. Thomas died 1871 Aged 68 - Source church burial County Co.Cavan.  I recall seeing Church of Ireland?  I have not found the grave or church mentioned when I purchased the notice (which is currently stored).
Robert MEACLEM married Sarah IRWIN 1873 - Source church marriage.  Co.Cavan.  I recall Rosscommon being one of the two church entries I purchased.  One has the details of witnesses to the marriage.  As above, I will have to dig the information out of some boxes - as I had given up hope of finding anything on my ancestors.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 January 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 January 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage entry for Robert Meaclem with a possible match for Sarah Irwin in the Civil marriage index Year 1873 Bailieborough Registration District vol 2 page 529. May give a little more information than the church marriage.
annclare
Added
Have you seen this birth/baptism on Family search 1865 Matilda Macklem parents Thomas Macklem Rosanna McKelvey
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR9L-CB8
also there is a reference to a Thomas Macklem of Tullylurkin (can't find this townland) in the petty sessions  Cavan Jan 19 1869 - fined for letting his goats wander on the public road!!
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Double Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 January 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Yes, that is my Robert MEACLEM.  I have a copy of that church marriage entry to Sarah IRWIN.  I tried to update the information I had posted here, but it does not seem to save an edited version - sorry!!
Thomas and Rose do have a Matilda - so it is possible that this is my family (gosh, you have brought me to tears in the hopes of actually finding them).
Funny if Thomas did have goats, but I will try find Tullylurkin.  Maybe an old map?
Sarah IRWIN is from the IRWIN family that one of her brothers and a sister came to NZ.  Not sure of the other details, without pulling out my boxes of research.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 January 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Mathilda's Birth/baptism place is given as Tullyvin - Have found an address on the web given as Tullylurkin Tullyvin Bailieboro Cavan and another Tullyvin Cootehill Cavan - so its possible that Tullylurkin is a small sub denomination of Tullyvin

Community Centre Tullyvin Link
http://www.mypois.ie/mpoi.php?n=tullyvin-community-centre&i=140724
If you google Tullyvin you will get a no of hits.
Good Luck
annclare

Added
If you wish you can order the marriage cert for Robert and Sarah from www.groireland.ie - Download the application form and give the references given  in earlier post - then post to the address given and they will e-mail you the copy of the entry- Note ask for a photocopy (research copy) as it gives the same information as a full cert and costs less about eu 4
Tullyvin photo below
http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/main/Town.asp?iTownID=73&iCountyID=6

Another address for Tullylurkin
http://www.irelands-directory.com/Cavan/Bailieborough/Business/Architects.html
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline kitttykatttz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Do you know if Robert (who married Sarah) had a sister Margaret, Elisa and Sarah and a brother William who married Alice King in 1884?
William is my great great grandfather. His parents were Thomas Meaclem and Rose (I have McKeloie)
My records from my grandmother say Thomas died approx 1872 and he married Rose between 1845 and 1849)

Offline Double Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Do you know if Robert (who married Sarah) had a sister Margaret, Elisa and Sarah and a brother William who married Alice King in 1884?
William is my great great grandfather. His parents were Thomas Meaclem and Rose (I have McKeloie)
My records from my grandmother say Thomas died approx 1872 and he married Rose between 1845 and 1849)
Yes, this is the line I am researching.  Robert is the line I am in.  Would you like to message me, and I will send you my email address.