Author Topic: Ian Mackenzie Fairfax  (Read 5826 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Mackenzie Fairfax
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 August 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi SMOKEY807, I'm sure your conclusions are correct. The only real way to positively put the matter to bed would be to order a transcript of the birth record. I would lay money on it that whilst it may say Jane I bet the sexual gender would record male. As I said I have had 2 cases where names were recorded incorrectly, one being a death of a daughter called George!!.

Glad we were all able to pool our research it was interesting.

John

Offline A.O. Rangi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi - I came across your discussion as I was researching Vera Fairfax. There is confirmation that the birth registration of a "Jane" Fairfax is in fact that of John/Ian in a newspaper birth notice: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/107134764
On the 16th August, Mrs. Edward B. Fairfax, of a son.
This is in the Evening News (Sydney) of 7 Sept. 1870 - odd it should be in this rival paper but not in the Fairfax family's own Sydney Morning Herald.
If anyone is interested in Vera I can pass on quite a lot of information on her and her family.

Offline eladsitruc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 December 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
If you're still looking I'm in Tunbridge Wells and am buying part of the Fairfax home.  A beautiful place built by Edward Ross in early 1900's where he lived till his death I think.  You know by now about his son; mother died in TW in 1920s I think.  Their home was named MacQuarie, Pembury Rd TW.