Author Topic: St Mary, Whitechapel 1771  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Christmas bush

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mary, Whitechapel 1771
« on: Monday 15 September 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know where R.M Lane was please? I've found a baptism for Charles Bush 1771, son of Charles and Mary, R.M Lane in Whitechapel. It was either a very big or overcrowded lane as loads of people were born there. Was it a workhouse? Could it stand for Rosemary...? I've found a marriage at St Katherine by the Tower for his parents but my research has ground to a halt. Any help/advice would be amazing at this stage. He joined the army but how do I find out what happened to his parents?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary, Whitechapel 1771
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
R. M. Lane = Rosemary Lane (now Royal Mint Street, E1)

See here for Cary's 1795 map ...
http://mapco.net/cary1795/cary22b.htm

It was part of the main thoroughfare from Whitechapel eastbound to Stepney and beyond.

Have you tried looking for burials for his parents? It can be difficult to identify the right people at this period because burial registers rarely record the age at death before 1813. Or is there any sign of a will?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look for Charles and Mary and found a few snippets
Charles Bush London land tax records
 St Katherines 1766 Poach Alley 13' 4d (next to Seven Step Alley and Rose and Crown Crt)
St Ketherines 1771 Marlou's Alley 2' 14 d (next yo Christopher crt)
No sign Whitechapel
Possible burial  Charles Bush 28.6.1795 St Dunstan's Stepney from Mile End New Town.
There are a couple for Mary at the same church 7.3.1784 and 13.1.1773 both MENT

Also baptism William Bush s of Charles and Mary Bush 20.7.1781 St Luke Finsbury tin foil beater

Burials at St Katherine
Mary age 14 days 1.1.1764 (baptised 21.12.1763)and Charles 4.3.1772 age 7mths
Sorry but are you sure that you have the right baptism?

Ciderdrinker

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Marriage of 1763 at St Katherine's was by Licence ... might be worth seeing if licence has survived at LMA in case it holds further useful info.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Marriage of 1763 at St Katherine's was by Licence ... might be worth seeing if licence has survived at LMA in case it holds further useful info.
I already checked that, and unfortunately neither the allegation, bond or licence survives for that particular marriage, but there are other BUSH marriages there which may be of interest.

Indexes here
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/Grooms.pdf
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/Brides.pdf

Offline Christmas bush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
This is all very interesting and Im not sure on if I have the correct Charles Bush baptism. I should have started with what I do know...

Charles Bush enrolled in Marylebone with 2nd Dragoon guards on 14th March 1797. He was marched (or trotted) directly to Southampton and Salisbury area which is where I originally believed he was born. It's taken a huge amount of investigation and help from many military experts and family researchers (including many wonderful people from this site) to narrow the search to Ldn.

I thought this baptism and marriage fit well together but 1771 seemed a little early as this would have made him around 26 at enrolment.

From my knowledge of this man, my 4th times Great grandfather he was educated with a very fancy signator but R.M lane sounded a bit of a slum. I understand workhouses educated children well but I may never find out the truth. The other clue was his name, every generation had a son called "Charles"

Offline Christmas bush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
I very much appreciate all your help so far and feel sure I have the correct area now, lots of "Bush's" according to records. I also don't think he would have traveled very far to enrol as a solider in that time.

Many thanks

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
It's taken a huge amount of investigation and help from many military experts and family researchers (including many wonderful people from this site) to narrow the search to Ldn. ...

... feel sure I have the correct area now

I know you have posted several threads elsewhere on this family, but for the benefit of those trying to help on this thread, can you please say why you think Charles BUSH was born in London?

Offline Christmas bush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
I beleive that he came from London because he enrolled at Marylebone.