Author Topic: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre  (Read 52005 times)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

tidybooks suggested I add to your posts, I, too, have been looking at the Tranent Massacre.
Sketches of Tranent  in Olden Time(1881) was republished by Kessinger Publishing and I bought a copy as I have been trying to find out more about George Elder who was killed in the street in the Tranent Massacre. Unfortunately all sources I have looked at don't give any more information other than he was "of Tranent". My 3xggf on my paternal side was George Elder Montgomery born 10 Nov 1797. His parents were David Montgomery and Christian Elder daughter of George Elder and Jean Steele. Christian also had a brother George(born 1777, died 1836 aged 59). Unfortunately I am unable to find a death for Christian's father and to add to the mix, there are 2 x George Elder born 1762 in Prestonpans and 1769 in Haddington. It may be that 1762 George moved to Tranent or that it was Christian's father who was killed.

Another source I read will be of interest to Hibee:
"John Adam had not left his work at St Germain's Colliery that day until twelve noon and could not therefore have taken part in the riot......................................................... From his hiding place Tait heard John Adam plead for mercy saying he had not been near Tranent that day and that he would go with them wherever they pleased. A soldier was heard to say, "There's your mercy." and a shot rang out. John Adam groaned in pain at which another soldier taunted him, "Damn you... what are you groaning at there". John Adam was found dead in a ditch and covered in blood .................... There were two bullet holes in Adam's chest as well as several sword wounds on his chest, arms, hands and stomach." (Taken from the Declarations of Adam Blair, William Tait and James Hood)  Information is given about two men who visited the relatives as they wanted to take action against those responsible. "They visited Janet Kindly, widow of John Adam" "Petitions were presented .................... in the name of Janet Kindly" Unfortunately the petition was dismissed.  By the way, Scott Adam/s from Newton is my 4Xggm om my maternal side. She married Andrew Wilson 1782 at Newton. Perhaps she is related to John Adam.
I also found the list of Prestonpans folks who signed the letter to be presented to the "honourable gentlemen at Tranent". The names were written in a circle so no name was first. If folks are interested, I can list the names in another post.

Here is the link for Sketches of Tranent in Olden Time, it's now online
www.archive.org/stream/sketchestranent01sandgoog/sketchestranent01sandgoog_djvu.txt
Happy reading!

Mags

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mags

Than you very much for this.  I have Scot Adam as the first cousin of John Adam.

Details in here...

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=adamsmidlothian

Regards

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mags,

would it be possible please to see the list of name that were on the petition.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 18 February 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Names of those who signed the Prestonpans letter:

William Alpin, George Thomson Jnr., William Greig, Andrew Darling, John Genlan, George Thomson, David Ballent, Peter Thomson, James Welsh, Robert Allen, Hew Dougal, George Swan, Matthew McVey, Thomas Haig, James Thomson, James Inglis, Peter Bell, John McTosh, John Young, Richard Wright, Thomas Hill, Thomas Johnston, James Brown, George Kerr, Matthew Smith, Robert Russell, George Swan, Matthew Mint, Nicolas Outerside, John Gow

Nicolas Outerside was able to get into the meeting and hand over the letter. Needless to say, it was rejected!

The men of Prestonpans were against the Militia Act and decided to protest in a letter. They declared that they unanimously disapproved of the Act, would assist each other to try to repeal the Act, were peaceable and if trouble happened the aggressors would be the Deputies and, as they disagreed with the Act, what would that infer about the trust that could be placed upon them to carry out duties.

Although the men were trying to be reasonable by putting pen to paper, the last statement shows  a subtle threat! There are four Thomsons who signed the letter - wonder if they were all related?

Mags

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 18 February 13 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Archie,

Thought you may also be interested in the names of the six people who were charged with mobbing and rioting outside John Glen's public house:

David Duncan, Elizabeth or Elly Duncan, John Nicolson, Francis Wilson, Robert Mitchell, Neil Reidpath

Trial took place on 10 October at Edinburgh. D Duncan, Nicolson and Wilson all failed to appear and were outlawed. E Duncan brought proof that her name was Alison Duncan and her case was dismissed. There was conflicting evidence for Mitchell and Reidpath and a verdict of Not Proven was given. Shortly after the trial ended, Wilson did appear. He said he had been ill and eventually it was decided not to pursue the case further.

Mags

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 18 February 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mags,

thank you very much for taking the time in sending in the names it is really appreciated, I wonder if John Young was a relative of mine apart from Jackie Crookston, poor soul she was never recorded as having died and yet the rest seem to have been.

It shows how people were treated in those days here we have a group of men who handed in a well written document, unfortunately the powers to be said they were simple yet most of them seemed to have worked in the Potteries so were craftsmen.

Sir Walter Scott was at the court and detailed some of what had happened and it just came down to plain brutality, the government has still not apologised for what happened, what is really drastic is the kids and old people who were cut down.

Have you looked at the map I made out showing roughly where the people were killed or injured ? if not I can post it again for you.

Best regards and thanks again.

Archie.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 18 February 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Have got a map but thanks for the offer.

Mags