Author Topic: STONHILL at the King's Head in Stewkley  (Read 14989 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: STONHILL at the King's Head in Stewkley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 05 16:35 BST (UK) »
What a marvellous group of photographs - Thanks so much for the link.
You've been very helpful.
I'm very grateful.

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Mrs Duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat & Tazzie

(My first time here !)
I am very interested in the STONHILL's from the King's Head. 

Thomas & Mary Stonhill's son - Richard Hedges STONHILL - married my Great Grand Aunt Rosa Matilda DICKSON, (dau of William Gibson DICKSON & Elizabeth SNATT), 1884.

1901 Census has Richard & Rosa, their children, and Richard's mother Mary, all at the King's Head :

Address "Kings Head Inn",  High Street, Stewkley
Richard STONHILL, 44, 1857, born Bucks Stewkley, Innkeeper & Coach Builder
Rosa STONHILL, 40, 1861, born Herts Hitchin
Violet STONHILL, 15, 1886, born Bucks Stewkley, Dressmakers Apprentice
Cicily STONHILL, 13, 1888, born Bucks Stewkley
Beatrice STONHILL, 7, 1894, born Bucks Stewkley
Laurence STONHILL 3, 1898, born Bucks Stewkley
Mary STONHILL, 79, 1822, born Bucks Stewkley

I have been told that "Laurence owned the garage and petrol pumps in Stewkley, he married Eva, they had a son George who married Margaret, George emigrated to America".

"George & Margaret met at Beverley University".  "Laurence's sister Cicely lived in a cottage opposite the garage".

Please can you help with anything about this family, the garage, and more about the Beverley University ?

Rosa's parents and younger siblings came to NZ July 1877 and settled at Halcombe.

Thankyou, Trich
Stonhill, Dickson, Snatt, Broughton

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 05 23:11 BST (UK) »
Good to make contact with you.

Tazzie has the local knowledge and I have been researching the STONHILL family.

Richard Hedges STONHILL was one of 10 children of Thomas STONHILL and Mary HEDGES (on 1871 census her brother, Rev George HEDGES, was staying with them at the King's Head). 

My connection with this family is through another of Thomas & Mary's children, Eleanor Mary, who married Robert VINCENT and is the great grandmother of one of my cousins.

Although there were STONHILLs in Stewkley back in the 18th century I am puzzled why Thomas STONHILL appears to have been born in Tadcastle, Yorkshire, in about 1821 - I've not found his parents yet - Have you any suggestions?

Pat

Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Mrs Duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
I am also a little lost on the birthplace of Thomas being Tadcaster, Yorkshire ... maybe that was where his mother's family lived ?

I did find a Thomas Stonhill born 18 Aug 1800, chr 07 March 1826, All Saints, Leighton Buzzard, Bedford, on the IGI.
Son of Nathaniel Stonhill and Mary ...  (Batch J003603)

18/6/1863 Nathaniel Stonhill scored 2 runs in a cricket match at Stewkley Cricket Ground.
1864 Directory : Nathaniel Stonhill, maltster of North St & The Bull High St.

Then there is a Nathaniel STONHILL married Ann INGRAM (Born abt. 1781) 14 Dec 1809 at Leighton Buzzard.
They had : Nathaniel chr 17/12/1810, Ann chr 20/8/1812, Susannah chr 6/2/1814, Elizabeth chr 13/1/1816, Frederick born 25/7/1819 chr 11/4/1822, David born 9/3/1822 chr 11/4/1822.

Are these the same Nathaniel ?  Did he marry twice ?  Was Thomas born 1800 "Our" Thomas ?
How many Nathaniels were there all together ?

Index of the Poll for Knights of the Shire for the County of Bucks
Which began at the Town of Aylesbury, on Wednesday the 21st and ended on Friday the 30th of April, 1784.  Richard Scrimpshire, Esq Sherrif.
lists : STONHILL Nathaniel Self Stewkley Cottesloe (occupier of eligible property).

Nothing like a good mystery I guess, regards, Trich

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 September 05 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat & Trich.
      Just back from a holiday and thought I would add some more to the life of The Kings Head.
  On talking to my mother in law her mothers family ran the Bull on the other side of the road but then moved to the Kings Head and ran that pub (small world!!). This would have been 1940s as she remembers going into the Bull as a small child.She also knew the name Stonhill .Any thing I can help with let me know as we live very close to the village.
   Try asking at your local library for a copy of Stewkley in Camera vol 1&2.Some lovely old photos .We even found my husbands grandmother Grace Foulkes as a school girl at the village school.

Happy hunting

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laurencegeorge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am Laurence George Stonhill, the grandson of Richard Hedges Stonhill and the son of Laurence Richard Stonhill, born at 78 High St. N, Stewkley.My grandmotherwas Rosa Matilda,daughter of the Rev  Bruce Dickson MA, vicar , and my mother Eva (Keen). I married Margaret, of the prominent Nicholls family, and we reside in Oregon. Our childrens families flourish in Oregon, Idaho and Washington States. We did meet in Beverley, which is a fine city with many antiquities (but no University). Within my memory, the Stonhill business of metalworking, blacksmithing and coachmakingwas carried out at the two premises shown in the cited Bucks Co. archive picture. WW 1 and the arrival of motor vehicles led to the declinof the business. Of RH's other children, Violet Blanche and  William Nathaniel Dickson went to Rhodesia. Beatrice was the family historian,and  compiler of oral tradition.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 November 06 09:10 GMT (UK) »

Hello   Laurence

Welcome to Rootschat. There is a lot of local information on the Stonhill family in Stewkley and in Leighton Buzzard as well. My mother-in-law came from the village and knew the name well.
  If you would like any local info looked at please let me know as we are always around the place.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mrs Duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Laurence.  How wonderful to hear from you.  I was SO excited !  I have so much I would love to discuss with you.  I have been busy with my daughters wedding but am ordering more certificates very soon ...  I have a very old fragile paper with pencil writing, which I think was made by Rosa's sister Louise Lorne, listing the family, and the arrival etc in NZ.  Louise Lorne & her son Ken seem to have been the family historians in NZ, and their papers have been handed on to me.  I will be in touch again soon.  Much Regards, Trich Devescovi.  (Westport, New Zealand)

Offline Mrs Duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I now have Rosa Matilda DICKSON's mge details :

Entry # 161, 1884 Jun qtr, Maldon District, Vol 4a, Page 477   
19 April 1884, Richard Hedges Stonhill, age 27, bachelor, coach builder, resident of the Parish of Stewkley, Bucks, son of Thomas Stonhill, butcher, married Rosa Matilda Dickson, age 23, spinster, schoolmistress, resident of this parish, daughter of William Gibson Dickson, farmer, in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, after Banns, by Ralph ?Cluttor?, in the presence of Moses Walter Brown and Elizabeth Cooper, solemnized at The Parish Church, in the Parish of Wicham Bishop in the County of Essex.

but Laurence had :
Rosa Matilda,daughter of the Rev  Bruce Dickson MA

Please Laurence, can you get back to me.
Thankyou,
Trich      trichduck(at)e3(dot)net(dot)nz