Author Topic: Ann Denovan any connection to your tree?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Denovan any connection to your tree?
« on: Thursday 10 July 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
I have just recently discovered Ann Denovan married to William Johnston - both deceased by 1859 as shown on their son's  death certificate.  I have searched SP etc and found no matches for William and Ann's marriage or deaths. My ancestors seem to have lived around St Ninians, Bannockburn, Tillicoultry areas.

Thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Denovan any connection to your tree?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Can you give us some more background?   Who was their son?   Where did he marry?   Do you have his baptism - when/where was he born?

Can only see 3 Johnston marriages in Stirlingshire 1859 and none had these parents names??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have a print out of William johnston and Robina Drummond 8.12.1839 proclamation of Banns.  No parents given.
I have the death certificate for William Johnston showing parents William Johnston (ploughman)and Ann Denovan.  William (carpet weaver) died 16th march i859 at Bannockburn, his wife Robina in 1873 at Tillicoultry. 
The Johnstons seem to live in and around Stirling area - St Ninians, Tillicoultry etc.
It is difficult to find a connection and I hoped someone would have afamily tree with some information.

Thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Your opening post said his parents were deceased as shown on his marriage certificate 1859 so no wonder I was confused.   It was actually the death certificate.

What is also odd is that the informant of his death is shown as son William BUT according to deaths his son William died the month before him aged 17?

The death certificate states his parents as William Johnstone, Ploughman, deceased and Ann Denovan (deceased).   Usually it would say 'Ann Johnstone, maiden name Denovan' which suggests to me that maybe his parents weren't actually married.   It was quite common practice in Scotland for illegitimate children to have their fathers surname. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Oops I made a mistake there. Perhaps I also have the wrong death certificate for William, unfortunately no wife is named.  It was a good fit otherwise except for the fact that the son William is on this 1859 death cert. and he died before his father!!  Oops again.
The son of William and Robina Drummond - death certificate is correct by the names of the parents.

Thanks for your help.   

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Just double checked  (from 1855 to 1859) on SP for death of William Johnston and there is only one that it could be. That is the one that has his son listed (who died before him)as the informnant which does not fit! So I cannot work that out.
I also checked any from 1800 to 1854 - only one seemed to fit but the death was 15.4.1850 and William Johnston (senior) was recorded on the 1851 census along with his son William who died in 1859
Any suggestions from anyone appreciated.