Author Topic: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford  (Read 29913 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 September 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Trinity House have run the Lighthouses from the time of Henry 8th to this day :

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/corporation/genealogy.html

and the  Manuscripts Section of the Guildhall Library   

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/guildhalllibrary

it seems Irish light houses were never administered from Trinity House - for Irish Records the Guildhall library suggests contacting

Commissioners of Irish Lights, 16 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.

their website is http://www.cil.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all you Rootschatters for the help on lighthouses and lightships in Ireland.  It turns out that the Commissioners of Irish Lights was the place to go afterall. I emailed them and within 24 hours they came back with the service record of both my Thomas Delaney relatives  (father and son) nothing on the grandfather Richard as his records would be much earlier in 1840-50. However they don't have any family info on their lightshipmen e.g whether married, or what their addresses might have been, only County of origin. Still, I'm thrilled, Thanks heaps. Now it makes sense why all the men folk were not at home on Census night 1911.
Regards Canberragirl
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
callaghan, meehan (navan, co. meath)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 September 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
I think there is awebsite forIrish light houses and I remember letters written fromone of them during the Famine . There are lots of photos .

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 September 08 11:23 BST (UK) »
Shane that's very generous of you, thanks so much for your help. I couldn't help but notice the family names that you are interested in, some of them are quite similar to mine. I am actually from Dublin originally but my grandfather Joseph Carroll on my father's side was born in Wicklow and lived in South County Dublin where my father grew up. My g/grandfather Michael Carroll was also from Wicklow and married to a Bridget Doyle from Wicklow and my gg/grandfather Patrick Carroll was from Avoca, Wicklow married to a Frances (Fanny) Byrne of Avoca, Wicklow. I notice that you have Wilson as well - my husband is a Wilson of NSW, Australia and his ancestors I think are from Cambridgeshire UK. I haven't started compiling his info yet just trying to plough through my own first. However, I'm now curious to have a look at his as well.
Regards Maeve

Just remembered that you mentioned Doyles from Co. Wicklow - one of my ancestors is Sarah Doyle born 1850 to Denis Doyle & Mary Byrne married in 1836. I know of four sibling at the moment Denis 1838, Mary 1841, Elizabeth 1844 & Patrick 1847. They were based in Killarney, which is a townland close to Bray, Co. Wicklow.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 September 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
To Shane W
I haven't done a lot of research "yet" on the Doyles but I know they came from Wicklow town we have Bridget Doyle b.1829 approx. married in 1845 to Michael Carroll of Wicklow. Bridget was the daughter of Moses Doyle and Bridget Shiel of Wicklow - she had a sister Mary Doyle baptised 1820 Wicklow parish and we think a brother Robert Doyle. When we get some more details off the registers will let you know if they connect, there could be more siblings. Also Moses could have brothers and sisters too, haven't got that info yet. Could take a few months.
Regards Maeve
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Canberragirl I just thought i would let you know that the Delaney's were a well known Wexford seafaring family. They came from Parnell St (once called NewStreet.) and many off them served in the Lights service, on Lightships. I have never heard of any of them in the Light Houses ,but that doesn't mean that they didn't . In 1961 I spent some time on a lightship with Thomas Kevin Delaney, who was mentioned in another post and sailed with another one of the family Jim. Delaney. There are no Delaneys in Wexford today as far as I know. If I can find out any thing about them i will let you know.

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
To Shellback
Thanks for the information on the Delaneys anything you can remember about the Delaney families would be helpful, my father always said that Thomas Kevin Delaney of Parnell St was his cousin, we are trying to find a connection between Thomas kevin and my grandmother Mary Jane Coates (father's mother) who was brought up by a family of Wades in Wexford) - Thomas Kevin's mother Mary Alice Delaney is formerly a  Wade married to a Thomas Delaney (Thomas Kevin's father).
Regards Canberragirl

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Canberragirl,

There are a couple of businesses by the name of Delaney in Wexford. It's quite a good idea to send a message to an existing business if it bears the same surname as ancestors that you are trying to trace. Most business people tend to know a large number of people in their local community and some of them are the best people to approach if you want to know the history of an area. If they are unable to assist with useful information they may be able to put you in touch with others who can assist.

Christopher

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 November 08 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher for the suggestion - I may just approach the Delaneys in business  in Wexford but at present there are a couple of very kind Rootschatters investigating the Delaneys for me so I will hold off on that for now and see what they can find out for me. Thank you again.