Author Topic: William and Isaac Hardy, Loughgall  (Read 11910 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
William and Isaac Hardy, Loughgall
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
William Hardy must have been b. ca 1765.

He may have been agent to the Cope estate -- or was that his son?
I see that William's son Isaac, by his first marriage to a Miss Hamilton,
had a son Robert Cope Hardy.  And it's surely no coincidence that a couple of generations later (in quite a different branch of my tree) a Robert Cope Hardy Shaw-Hamilton crops up.

Can anyone tell me who William's wife was?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Hardytree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Isaac Hardy, Loughgall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello wee hugh
I am doing the family tree for the Hardy family who lived in this house in Loughgall from late 1700s to 1880s. I think I know who William's wife was - possibly Walker
Please contact me if you want to discuss further.
Rene2

Offline Catherine Wheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Wee Hugh
Yes I have William Hardy on my tree. I have been struggling with the Hardy tree for decades and am just beginning to get somewhere.
William was born C 1741 died 6th August 1817 buried at Loughgall. He married Sarah Walker 24th Sept 1778
Williams father was John Hardy born 1719 died 30 Nov 1775 also buried at Loughgall.

Sarah Walker died 1816 aged 58 She was the daughter of Abraham Walker of Parish of Kilmo??
and Anne  (nee) Clindinning  (great name)

Is this the direct line you are following or a branch?
Catherine Wheel

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Catherine.

I could tell you a bit about the son Isaac, if you're interested.

I believe Robert Cope Hardy was another son.  His dau. Alicia m. Henry Davison, county surveyor of Armagh.  Do you know anything about them?

Isaac also had a son Robert Cope Hardy, though I think he d. in infancy.

Rene2: I tried sending you a PM but it didn't go through.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
Rene2: I tried sending you a PM but it didn't go through.

New members usually need 3 posts to use PM (Personal Message) system.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Aghadowey.

I knew that, which is why I tried to send a PM to tell Hardytree my eMail address.
When I pressed 'send' it retorted
"PM could not be sent due to the max. limit"

Ignoring the lousy grammar for the moment, what does that mean?
I've cleared some of the unwanted messages from my 'in' and 'out' boxes, but the system still won't cooperate.  I thought the whole point of RootsChat is to make contact with fellow searchers.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
It means that you cannot send Catherine an email until she's made 3 posts.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Catherine Wheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Hugh,
Yes I have Robert Cope HARDY b 1799 d 1840 First wife Mary Clarke( died age 21) had daughter Alicia married Henry Davison. Know nothing about him. Interesting he was a county surveyor
Second wife of Robert Cope HARDY was Isabella Brackwell d 1888. She had a son Robert Cope married Honoria A D Herbert of Muckross.

It is interesting that William HARDY`s eldest son John b 1779 named his third child Emma Elizabeth Cope .
The Cope name features strongly does it not!!
I think you may be right about being an agent to the estate.

Do you know who Williams father was ( I think Andrew??) Do you know where they came from and how they came to live Loughgall?
Am interested in anything you have on the Hardy tree.
Thanks Catherine

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 11 07:05 BST (UK) »
Catherine,

Henry Davison was b. 1818, according to the Davison chart in T 1861/2 in the PRONI.  He was the eldest son of Thomas, JP, of Glenarm, who I think was later the agent for Lady Londonderry's Carnlough estate; mother's name not known (but she d. in Armagh in 1874).  Both those parents are buried in Broughshane.

Henry was county surveyor 21 Feb. 1846; retired 1886 (see the on-line Dictionary of Irish Architects).  m. Alicia in Armagh 22 Apr. 1846 (announced in the Belfast News-Letter).  She was b. in Armagh 1823-24 and survived her husband, who d. at Melbourne Terrace, Armagh, 2 Jan. 1901.  They had 3 sons and 3 daughters.

I haven't attempted to trace the Hardys back beyond William, but if you and Rene2 each manage to send me a PM with your eMail address I'll send the list of Isaac's children (from his family bible).