Author Topic: Old Malthouse, Llangattock  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Jowin

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Old Malthouse, Llangattock
« on: Wednesday 13 July 05 05:50 BST (UK) »
On the 1881 census my grandmother,Florence Mary Cannon age 2yrs, was living with her family at the Old Malt House, Llangattock, Monmouthshire. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to obtain a photo of it or a web site where I can obtain information.

Jowin ::)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Malthouse, Llangattock
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it is still there, but will ask around as I don't live far away.  If it is I will get a photo for you, but it may not be for a little while as my camera is playing up!

If it isn't there I could take a photo of the pub or other local landmark if you like?

Let me know.

Regards

Julie
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jowin

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 05 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi  Julie,
Would appreciate any photo or info you could let me have. I just can.t drop by for a look myself.
Regards

Jowin
Queensland
Australia

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 05 12:36 BST (UK) »
Ah..yes...I can see that it might be a bit difficult for you. :-\

Will sort it asap :) :)
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 05 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jowin

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the photos.  The only Malt House in the area that I can find in exisitence is in Crickhowell, which is just over the river.  I can take a photo of that if you like, but I can't be 100% it is the right one ???

I can also take photos of the canal (specifically the bridge) which would have been around in your ancestors time, and the churches/chapels and pub if you like.   :)

The chapel is covered in scaffolding at the mo  :( so I can't tell exactly how old it is, and anyway it wouldn't make a very nice photo, but that is there as an option later on.

In the meantime this link may be of interest;

http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/crickhowell/gatt1872.schtml

if it works...I'm not very technical  :-[ so I may have done that bit incorrectly, but the address is right.  I cut & pasted it so it should be ok :-\

Let me know what you would like.

Regards

Julie :) ;D

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 05 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie and Jowin

I  think that the Old Malt House referred to in the  1881 census was in Llangattock Juxta Caerleon some 20 miles from Crickhowell,Llangattock Parish Brecs.
Try a Google search. seems to be a Kitchen Centre nowadays.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
Oh piffle :(

Might not be able to take any photos then - just when I thought I was going to be able to help someone else for a change :-\

How certain are you Rhys?  I know you are really knowledgeable about the whole area - I'll be honest I am rubbish at geography - so I will abide by what you say ::) 

(Just don't tell anyone else that I am willing to do as I am told :P, as it has never happened before and I don't intend to make a habit of it :-X)

Regards

Julie

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 05 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie
In 1881 Florence born Caerleon is in Llangattock Parish
RG11 5259 in the sub district of Caerleon. Mon

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 05 00:03 BST (UK) »
Rhys - thanks, just as well I didn't go knocking on any doors :-[

Jowin - Sorry, did try, perhaps someone a bit nearer can help ???  That's assuming you want a photo of a kitchen centre :P

Regards

Julie :)