Author Topic: McDermott( Lackagh) Co Sligo  (Read 17539 times)

Offline clandestine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDermott( Lackagh) Co Sligo
« on: Monday 31 August 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandfather  John McDermott married  Anne Scanlon(Kilmacowen) in Ransboro Church in 1873.I got  a copy of the marriage certificate and  at the time of his marriage he lived in Lackagh. His father is named also as John McDermott. I have been searching for 2 years and I have failed to find any record of him or his family in Lackagh or in the surounding areas
He died in 1926 and his obituary  published in the Sligo Champion mentions that "his name " was "Honorably " mentioned in O'Rourkes History of Sligo. I read both volumes of O'Rourke and also the Ballysadare/Kilvarnet Book and can find no mention of this gentleman
I need help . 
McDermott: Scanlon: Giblin: McManus: Langan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McDermott( Lackagh) Co Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
do you have an estimate for his year of birth ?

A good place to start might be the 1911 census on the National Archives website : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
He died in 1926 and his obituary  published in the Sligo Champion mentions that "his name " was "Honorably " mentioned in O'Rourkes History of Sligo.
There is no trace of 'Honorably' as a surname in civil registration index and I'm wondering if you've read the obituary wrong- could you please copy out the bit that mentions 'his name.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clandestine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
The 1901 and 1911 census have No McDermott's in Lackagh. The nearest I have found is a John McDermott in Dooly in the Griffith Valuation. The church for the area is Collooney. There are no records there either for the birth of a John McDermott.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Looks from his death record that he was born around 1856 so should be about 55 in 1911 - there are only two possible John McDermotts that I see listed in Co. Sligo of around the correct age - one in Carrigeens age 60 with wife Honoria, another age 50 in Carrowgarry with wife Bridget (the 3rd is single)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like 3 children born in Sligo, Co.Sligo in IGI (www.familysearch.org)- John (1874), Patrick (1876), Mary Ellen (1878).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clandestine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:58 BST (UK) »

Hi All
I think I should begin this message again
 I am trying to  trace back from 1873  and NOT forward.

I am looking for  the parents and siblings of John McDermott  who lived in Lackagh (re Marriage Certificate) His father was also named John > a farmer.  However I can find no trace of Mcdermotts in or around this area who fit the profile.
I have all of the details of this family from the marriage in 1873 to the present day. John McDermott and his wife Annie nee Scanlon lived in Carrowkeel Ballisodare in the parish of St John's and in the civil parish of Kilmacowen. They farmed a holding that was owned by Annie Scanlon's father John Scanlon
They had 5 children >Mary Ellen was my grandmother. John,Michael and Bridget went to St Louis and Patrick remained on the farm. 
My estimate is that he was born  circa 1840- 1845. Griffith Valuation has an entry for a John McDermott in Doorly(adjoining parish)  Could be the same family

I have a number of clues but none have helped to advance my search.
A)  John McDermott lived in L
Lackagh at the time of his marriage.
B) The obituary in the Sligo Champion March 1926 . Read O'Rourkes Histories but  did not find the name of John McDermott mentioned

Re the Obituary. I apologise. I should not have put the word honorably in inverted commas.
The author of the obituary makes reference to John McDermotts interest in and knowledge of local and national history.

"He had an intelligent grasp of history ,local and national and it was always a pleasure to hear him relate some interesting episode of those long past "evil and dark" days. His name is honourably mentioned inin Dr O'Rourkes History of Sligo"  (unquote)
As said I can find no mention of the name of John McDermott in Dr.O'Rourkes History of Sligo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:06 BST (UK) »
there are a few John McDermott baptisms around the right time listed on the Irish Family History Foundation website at www.irish-roots.ie including one that lists father as John in 1843. The parish for this baptism seems to be Sligo RC - presumably the town.

The IFHF is a pay-website which holds transcripts, that cost €5 each to view

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage certificate indicate if John's father was deceased at the time and what was his occupation. There are a number of John McDermott deaths in the GRO indexes for the Sligo registration districts.

Good luck,
J.T.A.