Author Topic: Brickiest of Brick Walls! Stephen Webb - Odiham  (Read 6715 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Brickiest of Brick Walls! Stephen Webb - Odiham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Goray? What was the reason?

Marsh Gibbon? What proofs?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you give us the name's and DOB of Celia's children

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Kay And

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Ray / MargP,

We are still trying to work out why we discounted the Goray Family! Just working it through again...

In terms of Marsh Gibbon, we know that Stephen Webb married Celia Patience Walker in Biscester in 1908 and Celia was born in Marsh Gibbon.  Her children are born around this area. The three Walkers are Sidney William (1896), William Samuel (c. 1900) and Mabel (c. 1904). The 4 or 5 Webb children are again born around Marsh Gibbon, Piddington, Abingdon and Bicester. They are Charles (c.1910) Fred  (1911), Henry (1912), Robina Bertha Blanchine (1915) and also probably an Arthur who may be a Walker born c. 1907?

Thanks

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

1861 RG9 674 70 43
Sarah WEBB (Widow) + Esther Maria (10), Mary Ann (4), Alfred Tom (1)
AND visitor Mary HYDE WEBB (25)

1861 RG9 674 53 10 Bottley
John GOREY is with wife Charlotte + 3 x daus

1865 Death Sep Southampton 2c28 Charlotte Gorey

1866 QJun Southampton 2c 69 includes these two names
John GOREY and Sarah WEBB

1871 RG10 1188 147 23
John GORAY is with wife Sarah + Stephen (9) / Fredk (18) / Alfred (11)

So you say this one dies 1922 ( Soton aged 59 ).

Would you post details from the death cert you have?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 July 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
In terms of Marsh Gibbon, we know that Stephen Webb married Celia Patience Walker in Biscester in 1908

Was there no mention of a former occupation for "Stephen's" father?

I had a similar problem with a grandfather who 'adopted' a first Christian name that did not feature in his two personal baptisms or birth civil registration;  'lost' several years at marriage to his young bride; was favoured at death with his falsehoods by his mother-in-law; and my mother recorded his nickname at her own marriage.  It took me a lot more than a couple of years to identify him:  in those days I had to wait for the release of successive census schedules and link the relevant ones together to pursue his skilful concealment of his true identity!  I'm sorry to say I nearly drove the local Registrar to distraction with my incessant requests for checks against the very limited information extracted from the GRO index in the huge tomes at St Catherine's House ...    :o   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 July 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
I know that you're unsure about this family, however

Stephen Hyde WEBB b. Southampton Q2 1861

I would assume that this means she was pregnant when the census was taken and probably only recently widowed??
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 July 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Stephen/Steven Hide/Hyde WEBB is best traced via his wife Ellen Jane E.  His occupation of Stoker/Gas Stoker appears to have kept him in Southampton District for life.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk