Author Topic: Southampton Cemeteries  (Read 1060 times)

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southampton Cemeteries
« on: Friday 20 June 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
My 2 x great grandfather, Edmund Webb,  died in Southampton in 1901. The family lived in Endle Street, which is the Southampton side of the Itchen Bridge. Does anyone know which cemetery he would most likely  to have been buried in? Thank you.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, My fathers family all lived in Endle Street, and they are buried in Holybrook Cemetery opposite the Southampton General Hospital, there is also the St Mary's Extra cemetery in Butts Road Shoilng, on the eastern side of the Itchen.

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you. You do not by any chance know how big the houses were do you? Edmund was a multiple bankrupt (and swindler!). I am curious to know what circumstances they were living in. His effects came to just over £789 which surprised me.
Wills Isle of Wight
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hollybrook Cemetery did not open until 1913 so most likely to have been Southampton Old Cemetery [previous names The Cemetery by The Common or Hill Lane Cemetery]. Duplicate burial records are held at Hawthorns Urban Wildlife Centre on The Common. It may be too short notice but today 21st Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery are holding an information day event where they will be based at Hawthorns helping people to identify plots. Alternatively Hampshire Genealogical Society did an MI survey about 25 years ago [in many cases where graves have been damaged by weather or human vandals] the MI's are invaluable. Endle Street was bombed and much cleared for a new road system so difficult to judge on any house size.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you that is a great help. I did wonder about the Old Cemetery. I will try & find out if Edmund and his wife Sarah (d 1906) are buried there. Edmund was involved in many court cases and I have been wading through the details. I am trying to create a very basic website about him and all the people he dragged down. Hence I am trying to get as much info as possible.
Wills Isle of Wight
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901