Author Topic: What was Stella Maris, Wyndham Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Hampshire, England  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Re: What was Stella Maris, Wyndham Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Hampshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live about a mile from Wyndham Road and go to the pub regularly  :) and most are newish houses but I will ask if anyone has heard of it. I know someone who lives there so they may have an idea
Cheers Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was Stella Maris, Wyndham Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Hampshire, England
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 August 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
Westy

That will be great and thank you.

Westy11

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 September 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi my Spanish friend's husband was in the merchant navy - he stayed at a Stella Maris in Rotterdam when he was waiting for his ship in the 60s/70s.  More recently it has converted to a hotel.
Earlier this year she went back with some trainee reporters & they did an internet feature on the Stella Maris (where many Spanish stayed when in the Dutch merchant navy). 
Hope this helps. :)
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 September 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you iem.  Much appreciated.  Interestingly and serendipitously  my grandson attends a Star of the Sea school.  It wasn't till I posted to this forum about this topic that I discovered Stella Maris also meant Star of the Sea...

Life - the gift that keeps on giving.

Westy11

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 September 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Looks like it's a house name. In the 1937, 1938 and 1939 phone books that address was the residence of a Miss A G Wicke. The exchange name is Highcliffe.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 September 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Aimee Gertrude Wicke

She is on the electoral roll for Epsom, Surrey in the late 1920's (resident in Ashtead). Died in Christchurch RD in 1942.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 September 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
The house was still called Stella Maris in 1963 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/43117/page/8063/data.pdf

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 September 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks one and all - now I definately know it was the name of the house.

Westy11

Offline ramjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
You ask, "Is Stella Maris the name of a house or an institution possible Catholic?"

Was your person a seaman?  Many ports around the world have the Mission to Seafarers, often called 'Stella Maris'.

The Stella Maris Seafarers' centres provide pastoral care, services and support for seafaring people.  Stella Maris centres are part of the Catholic Church's official missionary work in its care of seafarers. These centres are a key component of the Apostleship of the Sea (AoS), an agency which is operated globally under the auspices of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrant and Itinerant People in Rome.  The AoS acts for the Church among the People of the Sea, ever dutiful in the service of hospitality.

Wikipedia says,
"The Apostleship of the Sea is an agency of the Catholic Church. It is also sometimes known as Stella Maris (Star of the Sea), and its patron is the Virgin Mary as Our Lady, Star of the Sea. Founded in Glasgow, Scotland in the early 20th century, it provides pastoral care to seafarers through chaplaincies in ports in all continents of the world.
AoS provides practical and pastoral care to all seafarers, regardless of nationality, belief or race. AoS port chaplains and volunteer ship visitors welcome seafarers, offer welfare services and advice, practical help, care and friendship. The Apostleship of the Sea in Great Britain is part of an international network known to the maritime world as Stella Maris, working in more than 250 ports around the world."