Author Topic: 'Lambeth Fusilier's' ?? Athlone or Mullingar Ireland late 1800s  (Read 1891 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Lambeth Fusilier's' ?? Athlone or Mullingar Ireland late 1800s
« on: Monday 14 July 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
I was wondering could anyone throw a light on the 'Lambeth Fusilier's' (if there was such a regiment in the British army) that may have been stationed in Mullingar or possibly Athlone in Ireland during the late 1800's.
Im researching a family and the Info was passed to me that a great grandfather was a Bugler in the 'Lambeth fusilier's' ..I was wondering would this be a nickname.?
Thank you.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lambeth Fusilier's' ?? Athlone or Mullingar Ireland late 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
Nothing springs to mind, apart from a misheard Lancashire Fusiliers. Can you post his name, place and date of birth if known.

Ken

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
I thought it a bit strange, but presumed perhaps it may have been 'an old boys regiment'.
The Family I have just started to research are called Robinson.
In 1911 Irish census is as follow's living at Tighes Cottages in Dublin north dock.

Mary Fletcher aged 37 Widow born Kinnegad.
Margaret Robinson 18 born Mullingar
John Robinson 11 born Co WestMeath
Christopher 5 born Dublin City.
It states the children are  Niece and Nephew's.

I believe their father name was George Robinson and his wife name was Mary nee Rooney and he served in British Army as a Bugler in Athlone.

I may have a birth for Margaret in 1892 in Mullingar .(i hope to purchase her Birth cert shortly)

If it is possible, I would be grateful to know what Regiments were stationed in Athlone during the early to mid 1800s.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
I have been given a service Number I believe may relate to George Robinson.
WO 16/2917 6th Rifle Brigade.

sorry for the confusion, but the info is filtering through, hope the above helps shed some light.
Thank you again.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
WO 16/2917 is a reference to a muster book for the Guards. So not likely to be correct.

The 6th Rifle Brigade was a Militia regiment in Longford or Longford and Westmeath depending upon date. Findmypast have attestation papers for the Militia. They were part-timers, serving for six years. They did 49 or 84 days of training on enlistment followed by 1 or 2 months training a year. One condition was that, in the event of a general mobilization, they would be made full-time and used for home defence to allow a Regular battalion to serve overseas. In 1899 they changed the conditions to allow some Militia battalions to serve overseas during the Boer War. Either in South Africa itself or guarding Boer prisoners.

One problem is that Militiamen tended not to record the fact on census or BMDs. So if his attestation paper does not survive the only other resource are the muster books in Kew. They are not online and you will need to come up with a more accurate date. Before spending lots of money researching military resources you should obtain as many BMD certificates as you can find from the Irish GRO. They only charge four Euros for a certificate on plain paper, which is all you need. One of them may give a regiment.

30-40 Regular battalions would have served in Athlone/Mulligar over say a 20 year period. So this route is not feasible.

Ken

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 07:51 BST (UK) »

The Family I have just started to research are called Robinson.

Mary Fletcher aged 37 Widow born Kinnegad.
Margaret Robinson 18 born Mullingar
John Robinson 11 born Co WestMeath
Christopher 5 born Dublin City.
It states the children are  Niece and Nephew's.

I believe their father name was George Robinson and his wife name was Mary nee Rooney and he served in British Army as a Bugler in Athlone.

I may have a birth for Margaret in 1892 in Mullingar .(i hope to purchase her Birth cert shortly)

If it is possible, I would be grateful to know what Regiments were stationed in Athlone during the early to mid 1800s.

Hello,
How sure are you re Mary's surname? http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/. Indexes shows a birth for Christopher Robinson 1905 with a mother's name, Reilly.

There is a marriage in the indexes in 1887 for Mullingar which looks as though a George Robinson and Ellen Reilly are spouses.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 08:00 BST (UK) »
1901 has this family - Robinson

This looks to be Nellie/Ellen in 1911

This may all be at odds with your information but does look like the family you have for 1911  :-\

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Update/Correction
I have obtained George Robinson marriage cert dated 21 Sept 1887 to Ellen Reilly.
It states he is a Bandsman in The Royal Dublin Fusilier's
It also states his father John Robinson as 'soldier'
The Marriage took place in Mullingar according to Rites of Church of Ireland (by licence)

Now in 1892 I have obtained a birth Cert for Margaret Robinson 11th March 1892 in Mullingar.
Mother Ellen nee Reilly
Father George who states he is a soldier in the 'E lANCASHIRE REGT.

In 1905 according to Christopher's birth cert the family are living at 22lwr Gloucester st Dublin George is working as a 'labourer'

Hopefully the WO/16/2917 may be relevant to one of above Regiment's.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Nothing springs to mind, apart from a misheard Lancashire Fusiliers. Can you post his name, place and date of birth if known.

Ken

After a Visit to the Gro offices according to Family Birth certificates I have just acquired it was indeed the E Lancashire Rgt in 1892 George had served in.
Prior to that on his marriage cert from 1887 he was a 'Bandsman' in the Royal Dublin Fusilier's.