Author Topic: Shelton late 1700s  (Read 10547 times)

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: marriage cert
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I am so sorry but I had thought I had sent a copy to you. I had so many issues that I think I realised I never had your email. You sent me a report on Catherine Revell! I think it came by post as I cant find it in My Docs. Can you do me a private message? Anne
Fairfax, Swarby, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire: Ellis in Swineshead, Kirton Lincolnshire: Straw and Higdon in Lincolnshire: Fincham in Norfolk, Suffolk, later London: Heygate in Essex and London: Mackmurdo, Essex and London: Cerf in Jamaica, Potsdam, Middlesex, Belgium. Dapre in London and Austria, Italy.

Offline Annieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shelton late 1700s
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I can see that David gave me the name of William Shelton and Elizabeth Bruce in 1810 for a marriage in Offord Darcy. From the marriage certificate of James Shelton and Catherine Revell it shows a witness mark of Thomas Bruce. I therefore need to get a copy of that marriage. If it shows a link to great Stukeley I will let you know.

Thanks Anne
Fairfax, Swarby, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire: Ellis in Swineshead, Kirton Lincolnshire: Straw and Higdon in Lincolnshire: Fincham in Norfolk, Suffolk, later London: Heygate in Essex and London: Mackmurdo, Essex and London: Cerf in Jamaica, Potsdam, Middlesex, Belgium. Dapre in London and Austria, Italy.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »

I therefore need to get a copy of that marriage. If it shows a link to great Stukeley I will let you know.

It doesn't. Both were of the parish of Offord Darcy (which only means they were living there at the time of the marriage, not that they were born there).

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
From the marriage certificate of James Shelton and Catherine Revell it shows a witness mark of Thomas Bruce.

The other witness was Catherine Revell's sister Jane Revell, who in 1845 married William Jakes. In 1851 in Offord Darcy, William & Jane Jakes were living next door to Thomas Bruce 32 b Offord Darcy.

It might be coincidence and it might mean nothing at all, but thought I'd mention it!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 May 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
This topic is now a couple of years old and I don't know whether the participants are still active on this forum but if they are my wife's maternal side is Shelton and I have it back to George Shelton born around 1783 in Bury, Hunts. Several of the family were from the Stukeleys.

It's not my main line of research so I am not an authority on them but if anyone wants to exchange names/dates etc. I shall be happy to help with relationships

cheers

Tony