Author Topic: Frank Mowbray Dutton  (Read 1734 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Mowbray Dutton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Frank D. Mowbray in 1935 on the death index at www.italiangen.org.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/fulton.html - Brooklyn New York Daily Eagle - Published June 5 th 1935
Frank Mowbray - June 3 rd 1935 - beloved husband of Julia Tschumi Mowbray - Funeral service at Walter B Cooke's Funeral Home, 50th 7 th AVE Brooklyn - Thursday at 2 pm. Funeral private - Troy papers please copy.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 12:29 BST (UK) »

Sandra, Thanks once again for your help. 

I have little knowledge of US research, my family firmly rooted in the UK.

''Very difficult to read who travelled with Frank but have found the other person transcribed as Ure M Mowbray born 1862.
Coincidentally Ure (born 1832) was the name of the Aunt he was with in 1871  ???
Taking another look at the image with a magnifier and my specs on it does look like Ure M and not Mrs J ''

Ure Mary Dutton, born 1862, was Frank's older sister, who remained a spinster.  Her grandmother was Ure Hopkins, nee Stephens/Tuthill.  Ure 'Hartshorn' in 1871 and 1881 was Ure and Frank Dutton's aunt, their mother's sister. 
Edward Hartshorn and Ure 'Hartshorn' living as man and wife in 1871 and 1881 census, no record found of a marriage between them. Stephen John Bigmore, Ure's actual husband, was still alive in 1871, died Mar qtr 1881.  Hope you can follow all this, a bit complicated at times.

('Ure' was/is a relatively unusual name passed down through many generations, my niece's middle name is Ure, her grandmother's/my aunt's name was Ure.)

In 1891, 1901 and 1911 Ure Dutton is with her father, Frank Dutton.  Jessie Dutton/Mowbray joins the family in 1901 and 1911.

A possible scenario is that after the death of Frank's first wife, Jessie May Talmage, the young Jessie Dutton/Mowbray initially remained in USA.  Frank came back to England, returned to USA with his sister Ure in 1895, and perhaps Ure brought Jessie to England.  No record found so far, but there may be one somewhere - Jessie was certainly in England by 1901.

Thanks for the second marriage details, I hadn't found that as yet, only just started looking at this family again a couple of days ago.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have found a record at Italian Genealogical Group, Frank appears to have married Jessie May Talmage on 2 separate occasions, the first time as Frank Dutton.

Marriage Manhattan, Sep 8 1893    
Dutton Frank M
Pallmodge    Jessie M

Original record found at Troy Irish Genealogical Society, Burden Iron Works Marriage Records
MOWBRAY Frank Dutton TALMAGE Jessie May 20 Oct 1893
MOWBRAY-TALMAGE-On the 20th, by Rev. Dr. Baldwin, Mr. Frank Dutton Mowbray of New York and Miss Jessie May, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Talmage of this city.

???

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
Maybe they were legally married first and did a church wedding after for the benefit of the bride's family? 

You could request a copy of the Manhattan marriage through the Family Search Photoduplication service - https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services  The catalog listing for the marriages is here - https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/399474?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 20:04 BST (UK) »

Thanks, Shelley.
I didn't know that familysearch did a copying service until now.

Have you tried it before?  On the page it does suggest that if you live within 50 miles of a Family History Centre, you should order the film and view it yourself.  My local one is a lot less than that, but I have never visited it before.  I used to go to one in Liverpool frequently, but it closed down to general public, and I haven't been to one since.

There are a few I could order through this copying service,

Margaret

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
The limit is 5 requests per month Margaret - each request can only contain 1 image.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 20:07 BST (UK) »
I have used it and got most of what I was looking for.  I live within 50 miles of one, but the hours and location are inconvenient and I have never been there.  I don't think they asked anything about my location when I made my request.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
Quick update

A fellow Dutton researcher, Jim Castellan, lives near New York, and has transcribed a few relevant births/marriages/deaths for me and himself (he is actually closer to this family than I am).

1893 Manhattan marriage 11156
Frank Mowbray Dutton & Jessie May Tallmadge, Eighth September 1893, By: C. M. Millard, Witnesses: Julia Tschunn, Wm. J. Millard
Signed; Sept 8/93

Groom:
Frank Mowbray Dutton, Residence: Palace Hotel, New York City, Age 27, White, Single, born London, First Marriage
F: Frank M. Dutton, M: Ure M. Hopkins
Bride:
Jessie May Tallmadge, Residence: Troy, N.Y., 19, White, Single, born Troy, N.Y., First Marriage
F: John Tallmadge, M: Carrie Howe
Celebrant: C. W. Millard, Clergyman, 133 W. 4th St., N.Y. City]
Signed: Sept 8/93

1894 Brooklyn, Kings Co. Birth 11706
Jessie Dutton Mowbray
Female, 1st child, White, born July 31st, 1894 7 A.M.
Place of Birth: 354 6th Avenue, Broolyn, Ward 22, Mother's Residence: 354 6th Av.
M: Jessie May Mowbray, 20 yrs., Maiden name: Jessie M. Tallmadge
F: Frank Dutton Mowbray, 27 yrs., Secretary, born England
Medical Attendant: H. A. (B????) 158 6th Avenue, Informant: H. A. (B???) August 21st, 1894

1894 Kings Co./Brooklyn Death 12750
Jessie May Tallmadge Mowbray, age 20y 1m 27d
Female, White married, born N.Y., housewife, life resident of U.S., 4 mos. resident of N.Y.C.
F: born N.Y., M: born N.Y.
Place of Death: 354 6th Avenue, Brooklyn, Ward 22, 3 family dwelling, she lived on 3rd floor
Attended July 30th 1894 to July 30th 1894, last saw her alive July 30th 1894
she died [illegible word] July 1894 3 P.M.
Cause: Clampsia fever post partum, duration 7 hrs., acute ?? albuminum ?? state  not known
Delivered to John Tallmadge at 9 A.M., July 3, 1894
A. Bunker M.D., 185 6th
Burial: Troy N.Y., August 2, 1894. Undertaker: Hunnan Bros., 247 17

So, I am happy to have proved something which was only a supposition a few weeks ago, thanks very much to rootschatters as well as Jim.

Margaret

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
Glad you were able to verify the findings.   :)