Author Topic: Nahor Staples - link between Herkimer, NY and Mendon, MA  (Read 411 times)

Offline atrombly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nahor Staples - link between Herkimer, NY and Mendon, MA
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 00:01 BST (UK) »
Working on research for Nahor Staples, born ~1804 in Mendon, MA.  Definitely the same man we have family records for as born in Herkimer, NY.

Sure they are same man - same DOB, same wife and children, with their dates of birth a perfect match.

Same situation with his middle three children.  They are listed as born in "Uxbridge, MA" and also have records for "Brunswick, NY" another is "Holliston, MA" and "Norway, NY".  And my gr-gr grandfather is just listed as Brunswick, NY.

The Staples family was one of the founding families of the town of Mendon and had good size parcels of land.  I have absolutely no idea why Nahor and his wife would be traveling between upstate NY and an area outside of Boston, MA.

I looked into industry in Herkimer, but there didn't seem to be much.  Nahor's family seemed to be weavers and farmers. 

Only other thought was religion.  Herkimer, NY was voting at one point to determine what churches they wanted in their town.  But I think there'd be some documentation if he were some sort of preacher.

Anyone have any theory at all why this well-established family from Mendon/Uxbridge area in Massachusetts would be back and forth between Herkimer/Brunswick New York?  Thanks.