Author Topic: FELTHAM Family  (Read 7864 times)

Offline dicky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FELTHAM Family
« on: Thursday 21 August 08 20:51 BST (UK) »
I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON MY GRANDFATHER  HENRY  HERBERT FELTHAM b1872 at HILPERTON.
HIS FATHER WAS HENRY JAMES b1835 a TAILOR ,MARRIED TO SARAH b1849 and had 8 children
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING.MY GRANDFATHER TURNED UP IN HULL YORKSHIRE IN 1900 AND MARRIED ELLEN nee OAKLEY AND HE WAS A SEAMAN,BUT WERE DID HE GO,I DID HEAR HE WENT ON A POLAR TRIP

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: FELTHAM Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Henry James was born?   The 1851 Wiltshire census doesn't show a Henry Feltham born 1835.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
This I'm finding most peculiar.   Nothing seems to add up.    Have you found the family on any census?

Because I couldn't find them on the census I went back to the beginning and checked the marriage to Ellen Oakley in 1900.   However, the groom is Henry James Feltham not Henry Herbert!!

There is no birth entry for either a Henry Herbert Feltham or Henry James Feltham c.1872 Wiltshire and I can't find a Henry Feltham who was a tailor.

Can you state your sources please?   This really is a mystery.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dicky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
I have found on some documents he is Henry James and some Herbert.On his marriage cert his father is Henry James [tailor],and his wife was Sarah ?,they had 9 children between 1872--188
On the 1891 census he is Herbert and 1901 he is Herbert Jas.If I'm on the right track the grandfathers are CHARLES 1807 m1827 to GRACE.  JOHN b1798 m SARAH. I have tried to work this out from the W.F.H.S Hillperton records book,they came there about 1718 ,but the book only goes to 1837.When I was young he was Henry or James.His wife Ellen Oakley was my real mothers mother Annie's sister from Melton Mowbray area
I got most of this off the census at the library but could have got on wrong track as there seemed to be various family's.Ellen died in 1947at hull,he married again in 1950s to Jane ?,he died in 1960 at Aldbury Herts but can't find any records,or of Jane who died late 1950s at Aldbury
Hope this has helped,I'm struggling as well

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 August 08 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hate to disappoint but the Herbert James Feltham in Hull on 1901 Census is not your man.

Henry James Feltham and Herbert James Feltham are 2 different people.

Ironically, both married at Hull.

Herbert James Feltham married Ellen Venus    Jun. qtr. 1898 Hull

Henry James Feltham married Ellen Oakley     Sept. qtr. 1900 Hull

(no female Feltham's died Hull between 1898 and 1900 so it's not the same person marrying twice)

On 1901 and 1891 the Herbert you found is a Carpenter, not a mariner (and wife Ellen on 1901 was born Hull).

However, I've found Ellen Feltham (nee Oakley) on the 1901 Census so presumably husband Henry James Feltham is away at sea.

1901 - 12 Albion Street, Sculcoates, (Kingston upon Hull), Yorkshire

Betts A. J.   Head   Mar.    41      Milliner           b. Melton Mowbray, Leics.
Betts Laura P.  Wife  Mar.  39                          b. Wenhaston, Suffolk
Fitch (or Fetch) Mary A.  Niece Single  28  Milliners Asst.   b. Melton Mowbray, Leics.
Chapman Mary G.  Boarder  Single  25            ditto            b. Westwick, Norfolk
FELTHAM ELLEN   SERVANT  MARR.  25     DOMESTIC SERVANT  B. MELTON MOWBRAY
OAKLEY CLARA     SERVANT  SINGLE  17   DOMESTIC SERVANT  B. MELTON MOWBRAY

Ref. RG13 - 4496 - 106 - 3  (presumably Clara Oakley is Ellen's sister).

So I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board and as yet Henry James Feltham has not been found on a census and so no proof of where he was born.

Ellen was born circa 1876 then at Melton Mowbray - what age is given for Henry James Feltham (her husband) on the marriage certificate?

Will try searching for the deaths you refer to.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 August 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Success.

As you said, Ellen Feltham did die in 1947 and Henry James in 1960:

Ellen Feltham     Dec.qtr. 1947    Hull     aged 72

Henry J. Feltham   Dec. qtr. 1960 Hemel Hempstead (Herts) aged 92.

Henry J. Feltham remarried Jun. qtr. 1952 Holderness (Yorks) to CLARA OAKLEY.   So, it would seem he maybe married his first wifes sister.   Didn't find death of second wife but I was looking for a Jane anyway so will have another look later.

From his death Henry James Feltham was bc.1868 so then looked for his birth entry and there is only one:

Henry James Feltham    Jun.qtr. 1869 Shoreditch (IGI shows he was born 30/4/1869 and baptised 11/7/1869 St. John the Baptist, Shoreditch son of Henry Francis Feltham and Caroline).
Then looked at 1871 census and found him:

1871 - 57 Herbert Street, St. Leonard, Shoreditch.

Henry Francis Feltham     27      Tailor        b. Islington, Middx.
Caroline Feltham             22                       b. Kent Road, Surrey
Henry James Feltham        1                       b. Hoxton, Middx.
George Francis Feltham    4 mos.                      ditto

Ref. RG10 446 9 11

Caroline Feltham bc.1849 d. Mar.qtr. 1873 Camberwell.

Eventually found the 2 boys in 1881 although this time birthplaces given as Southwark - however, I suspect they may have ended up in an institution in Southwark after their mother died and then sent to the Industrial School, hence birthplaces given as Southwark:

1881 - Middlesex County Industrial School, Feltham, Middlesex

Includes:

Henry Feltham     Inmate 11   Detained under Industrial Schools Act   b. Southwark
George Feltham   Inmate 10             ditto                                                   ditto

(the latter's birth registered Dec.qtr.1870 Shoreditch).

Haven't found either in 1891 and 1901 but we know that at least Henry was a Mariner and likely to have been at sea.

However, didn't like what I found next and although he's your ancestor have decided I don't like Henry Francis Feltham.

First I found his marriage to Caroline Joyce Mar.qtr.1867 Marylebone.   Assuming (something one should never do) that Henry Francis had died too I then searched for his death but there was nothing right up to 1920.   In the end did a search in the marriages and found that he re-married to:

Adeline Margaret Austin    Dec.qtr. 1875 Camberwell.

1881 Census -    250 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green

Henry Feltham    37       Tailor                         B. Islington, Middx.
Adelina Feltham  30                                        b. Kingsland, Middx.
Sydney Feltham    9                                        b. Hackney, Middx.
Adelina Feltham    4                                        b. Old Ford Road, Kent
Bertha Feltham     3                                                ditto
Gertrude Feltham   2                                               ditto
Frederick Feltham   7 mos.                              b. Leytonstone, Essex

RG11 0416 68 10

1891 - 9 Albert Terrace, Carlyle Road, Little Ilford, Essex

Henry Feltham      47    Tailor's journeyman      b. Islington, Middx.
Adeline Feltham 34 (??)                                    b. Kingsland, Middx.
Adeline Feltham 14       Scholar                        b. Old Kent Road, Surrey
Bertha Feltham  13         ditto                          b. Leytonstone, Essex
Gertrude Feltham 12      ditto                                    ditto
Frederick Feltham 10      ditto                           b. Hackney, Middx.
Beatrice Feltham    5       ditto                           b. Plymouth, Devon
Mable Feltham        3                                         b. Bishops Stortford, Herts.
Harvey Feltham      1                                         b. Manor Park, Essex.

ref. RG12 - 1342 - 39 - 25

The third son, Sydney, born from the 1st marriage also marries in Hull in 1900 - Sydney Herbert Feltham married to either Edith Blackborow or Mary Chapman Mar.1900 Hull.

Sydney Herbert F.  birth regd Mar.qtr.1872 Camberwell
children from 2nd marriage:
Adeline Frances    Jun.qtr. 1876 Camberwell
Bertha Frances     Dec.qtr.1877 West Ham
Gertrude Frances Mar.qtr. 1879 West Ham
Frederick Francis  Dec.qtr. 1880 Hackney
Beatrice Frances  Dec.qtr. 1885 Plymouth
Mabel Francis       Sept.qtr. 1887 Bishops Stortford
Harvey bc. 1890 - cannot find birth entry
New Town, Bishops Stortford (HO107 1706 426 59)

Annette  
London -  Monk

Offline dicky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 August 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
You have worked hard ,thank you
I have not gone through it yet,but I don't know how you found it all .the Oakley's keep coming in all over,another sister Phoebe married Thomas Dabell,and that family went on to run South Notts Bus Company in Goatham
Will be intouch again when I have sorted this out

Dicky

Offline dicky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Have done some checking and found the Wilts connection was wrong and that he was born in Shoreditch in 1868,have got details of his 1st marriage to Ellan Oakley,did not know his 2nd wife was an Oakley I only knew her as Jane,not found her death yet.Not having any luck with the seafaring part yet,he use to talk of going to one of the poles but they did not get there,but cant find anything
He had his own ambulance service in hull up to the war [1939] at 139 Albert Ave Hull,then moved to Burstwick just outside hull till 1950 they came to live with us with Clara until his death in 1960, Clara died about 1958 in Hemel Hempstead
If anyone can fill in the gaps it would help

Offline Spain Feltham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hello. My name is José and Bertha Feltham was my grandmother. Looking for know someting about the past if my
 britain i get into this place. I have been reading all of this text and i am sure i come from this familly. She came to live in Spain before de civil war. Sha married spanish men.