Author Topic: Why did the Hatter's die so young?  (Read 15756 times)

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
Re: Why did the Hatter's die so young? UPDATE
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Good day all. 

First ) I want to wish all those in S England who have been enduring floods all the very best to you and your families!  Having gone through a very similar situation here in Calgary last Spring, I REALLY empathize.

2) I want to thank ALL of you who contributed to this thread. I very much appreciate your sharing your knowledge and your time to assist me in my quest for those "elusive" relatives.

3) I am very pleased to be able to update you... I connected with someone on Ancestry who has been researching this particular branch of the family for over 10 years.  Ironically, she is also in Canada.  She has been very generous with her information and we are collaborating to expand our knowledge. 

That being said, as a result of her work and effort, I now have information on this branch of the family back to 1620 - a result I would never have dreamed possible when I started this "geneaology gig" about three months ago:).  Obviously I have a lot of work ahead of me in validating the data, but it sure is a lot further than I ever expected to be at this stage.

4) DEE-JAY, I particularly want to thank you for all your additional work and efforts (whether it was done in the objective of housework avoidance or not!), and for your patience in messaging me with my "not stupid" questions.  Your challenge to my original data about Edmund's parents early on was quite pivotal - because as soon as this collaborator researcher produced her data, I recognized the names you had provided and it all fell together like a giant jigsaw puzzle. 

Thanks again everyone and, I really hope that when I arrive in Wiltshire in a few days... things will have dried out (not the pubs though!)
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Why did the Hatter's die so young?
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 04:33 GMT (UK) »
G'day, Carol.

Happy to be of service!  ;D  With the benefit of 25+ years' research, we 'seniors' develop an instinct .....  ;)
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
Re: CLOSED Why did the Hatter's die so young?
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 22 May 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
Since you all assisted so ably with this, I thought a quick update was in order.

I found out why these two particular Hatter's died so young.  Edmund died 1857 of a Psoas Abscess and Elizabeth died in 1859 of what appears to be "Sulfacation" of the bowels (I seem to recall reading somewhere that might be code for typhod but need to confirm that).

Onwards and upwards, thanks again.
Carol

Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland