Author Topic: Hatch(er) & Curteis families in Biddenden  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hatch(er) & Curteis families in Biddenden
« on: Friday 04 December 09 11:40 GMT (UK) »
An 1814 bastardy order names James Curteis, formerly labourer of Biddenden but then a private in the West Kent militia, as the father of James Hatch born 5 June 1812 and christened 25 June 1812 while his mother Mary Hatch was a prisoner in the Bridewell, Maidstone. 3 weeks later Mary Ann Curteis Hatch, also daughter of Mary, was christened in Marden (5 July 1812). A search at the Society of Genealogists produced potential family lines for both Hatch(er) and Curteis in Biddenden. I am happy with the Hatch line, the dates fit well, but I would like to identify James Curteis more definitely as the 1781 son of John and Elizabeth Curteis who (according to the IGI!) married in High Halden Road (?presumably Biddenden) in 1779 Can anybody help?

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hatch(er) & Curteis families in Biddenden
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spain, welcome to RootsChat :)

I've looked at Biddenden marriages, but there's nothing for a James CURTEIS, I'm afraid.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
High Halden records show the marriage of a John Curtis of Woodchurch (b) to an Elizabeth Barman of High Halden on 5/4/1779. Witnesses were Mary Barman and John Lindrage. There are no records of any children of this marriage baptised in High Halden.

If this is one of yours you might want to look at the Woodchurch Family History site, which shows the Banns for this marriage, to see if there is any further info on John Curtis

http://woodchurch.hollyer.name/

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 09 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the lead to Woodchurch - I've just found in the 1843 Tithe Assessment land owned by a Thomas Curteis and occupied by a Thomas Barman. Clearly the families knew each other and now I have some more names to research...... One day I will complete the jigsaw and discover which James Curteis was the father of our 1812 James Hatch and his sister Mary Ann Curteis Hatch. There was also a Harriet hatch christened in Cranbrook in 1808 but we have no idea of her father. The mother, Mary Hatch, was almost certainly the daughter of Robert Hatch. She was regularly moved on from one parish to another and was obviously well-known to the authorities of the time - which makes it very frustrating to be unable to complete the picture by identifying James Curteis more clearly.
I shall keep looking....!

Offline poppasmurf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I have record of James Curteis born 26 dec 1781 Biddenden. father John and mother Elizabeth.
If you require more information on the Curteis link please contact me as i have over 5000 entries.

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon from Spain.
If you can help me identify the James Curteis who was 'involved' with Mary Hatch and the father of my husband's ancestor, it would be a wonderful Christmas present! As you will see from previous posts, I suspect that he MAY have eventually settled in Woodchurch - a James Curtis(Labourer/widower) married Jane Goodhall there in 1847 and a James Curtis aged 65 (est DoB 1783) from the Union House in Tenterden (ie the Workhouse) was buried in Woodchurch in Feb 1848, but there is no real proof. A son James was born c1781 to John Curtis and his wife Elizabeth Barmas/Borman who probably married in 1779 (Banns in Woodchurch) - she may have been his second wife as there seem to have been children born betw 1770 and 1777. It seems likely that this is "our" elusive james but I have no real proof
I suspect that I probably need to spend some time trawling through the records of for example the Cranbrook Overseers of the Poor. In the 1814-15 account James Curteis paid the standard £2 towards Mary's lying-in. he had been adjudged the father of her male child and was ordered to pay 2s 6d maintenance but in May 1817 he owed £12-5s and in Aug 1818 £7-17s 6d....
It seems at least possible that James was the father of all 3 of Mary's children, but I have not been able to identify any of the females in say the 1841 census..... they may have married of course!
I would love to have any information which might help and in the meantime Happy Christmas :)
Margaret

Offline Hatch74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello this is message for Spain

Very sorry to trouble you, I just wondered if you have the names of all three of James Curteis and Mary Hatch's three children because you mention that Mary could be the daughter of Robert Hatch who married Jane Shoebridge and we have a Hatch Shoebridge mystery in our family and wonder if we are related to Mary in some way?

kind regards

Hatch74

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 January 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
 :-[
I do not have an internet connection in the summer months and I cannot trace any reply to you from me but forgive me if I am repeating anything.....
I have recently returned to researching my husband's Hatcher ancestry which seems to get more complicated each time I look at it! Sadly I do NOT now think that 'our' Mary was the daughter of Robert Hatch & Jane Shoebridge. Their daughter Mary seems to have married a William Holden in Biddenden in June 1814 - the clue is a witness James Hatch who may well be Robert & Jane's only other child, a son bapt in 1788. Both Holdens appear to have died in Rye.....
That said, the evidence remains circumstantial so, for the record, 'our' Mary's 3 children appear to be Harriett Hatcher (bapt St Dunstan's Cranbrook on 3 July 1808 - her father is named in an 1811 Affiliation Order as Thomas Sattin)
Mary Ann Curteis Hatcher (bapt in Smarden on 5 July 1812 only a few weeks after the baptism of James), and
James Hatcher (bapt in Maidstone on 5 June 1812 while his mother was apparently in the Bridewell, and named in a Bastardy Examination in Jan 1813 as the son of James Curteis, lab, late of Biddenden but then a private soldier in the West Kent militia).....
Hope the above is of use..... I think that Mary eventually accepted that James Curteis was not going to return and married a John Thatcher (sic) in 1819 - but any additional information would be very welcome!

Offline Hatch74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spain

Thank you very much for getting back to me I really appreciate it, I will have to have a really good look into this to see if there is a connection with my family.

Best wishes to you

Eddie