Author Topic: William Coward Dartford Kent from lancashire  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Coward Dartford Kent from lancashire
« on: Sunday 28 September 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
hi everyone , ive been trying to get the correct death date and details for my gr grnadpa William Coward
he was born in 1843 in leigh lancashire and moved to Bolton lancashire with his wife Alice - hes missing from the 1891  census but Alice states shes married the next cnesus shes down as widow, I cannot find any reference to his death at all here in Bolton or lancashire and hes missing from the gravestone totally. so he died between 1891-1901 - so ive searched for deaths betwwen 1890 and 1902 to cater for errors , ive also searched passenger lists and probate and still I cant find him - although a lone William Coward travells from liverpool aged 50 to USA the age doesnt match -
Ive searched deaths in Amercia along with my American cousins for help - came up with no matches -

Ive found a death in Dartford Kent which matches exactly to my william b 1843 and its a death in 1892 - i know not how to search for a possible burial for this - can anyone help ? Im also wondering why he would be in Dartford i was just wondering if he was sent to prison or something as I was somehow thinkinng there was a prison there at one time - and Ive found a matching record for a prison record for a william Coward at that time - so was wondering if someone could help me on this - did my gr grandad die in prison maybe ?

as for further details he was a joiner and didnt come from a very poor background they seemed to be ok and on the up - hes just mssing from  all details here and i would love to know what happened to him.

Many thanks

Andrea

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Coward Dartford Kent from lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
There is a family in Greenwich in 1891 with a William Coward born Salisbury c1844. By 1896 his son Daniel marries and states that his father is deceased.  I think it is very likely that this is the William whose death you have found.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk