Author Topic: charles heaton  (Read 13991 times)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles heaton
« on: Monday 26 August 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm trying to find the parent(s) of a Charles Heaton born 1881 in England - maybe Staines Middlesex/London area.  He moved to Quebec Canada when he was 12.  Have found travel doc on Ancestry but can see no relative travelling with him.  Records say he was from 'St George in the East Parish'  Was that an institution/workhouse and under privileged children were sent to Canada maybe to have a better life?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: charles heaton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is no birth for him in that area between 1879-1883   www.freebmd.org.uk

St George in the East was a registration district in London

It's possible he may have been born in another county and his parents moved to London at a later date.

I can't see a match on the 1891 census in London/Middlesex or Surrey
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 00:23 BST (UK) »
He was part of a large party of similar aged children who sailed to Quebec from Liverpool on 29.6.1893 aboard the Sardinian

I can't see any reference to his birthplace on the passenger list
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 01:48 BST (UK) »
Records say he was from 'St George in the East Parish'  Was that an institution/workhouse and under privileged children were sent to Canada maybe to have a better life?

Many groups of pauper children were emigrated to Canada by the London poor law unions, mostly from workhouse schools (British Home Children). Some were orphans, but others came from families where there were difficulties caused by poverty or illness, or where one parent had died or deserted and the other could not cope.

Charles Heaton was emigrated in 1893 under the care of the Catholic Rescue and Protection Society. See this link ...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vwp/

The passenger list shows that he was chargeable to the parish of St George in the East, which was part of the Stepney Poor Law Union. He wasn't necessarily born there, but before emigrating to Canada he will have been in the care of that union, probably at one of the Roman Catholic schools that they used for their pauper children.

To find out anything about his family circumstances you will probably have to trace him back through the poor law records, if they survive. To start with, you may be able to find him in one of the registers on Ancestry, in their database London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 > Tower Hamlets > Stepney. The records are not indexed -- you have to browse them page by page.

If not, there are plenty of records for the Stepney union that are not online. They are held at London Metropolitan Archives. If anyone can search there for you, they could start with the Board of Guardians minute books for St George in the East. The suitability of children for emigration to Canada etc. was usually discussed at great length by the Guardians.

If you don't have access to the records, or no-one can go for you, LMA offers a research service.

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Confirms what I've found out about the Heatons only I probably did it back to front!  I traced Charles as being in Quebec Canada living with Virginie Dessaulniers (1911 Canada Census) and married to Marie Louise Dessault (1910) (Virginie's husband's name)  I couldn't find him in 1901 or 1891 but trawled the passenger lists and as you say he went from Liverpool to Quebec in 1893 with a Father Seddon and a group of 50 children from the ' Catholic Rescue and Protection Society'  I was really hoping to find him with a guardian or parent. He married in 1910 and I think Hamilton was his son born in 1911 and who came to England in 1936 to study as a lawyer.   Still not sure how Annie Hawkins/ Heaton was involved in all this.  One relative suggested that Annie's sister was the mother of Hamilton but records of him born and his mother's name are not that easy to find.   Anyway, many thanks and I'll keep on searching. Next step will be the poor law unions around the time of his birth.   Regards
Sharon

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Think this is probably your Charles in the 1891 Census
RG12; Piece: 1382; Folio: 137; Page: 5
 He is listed as:-
 Charles Eaton  aged 10 born St. George in the East, Middlesex
resident at:-
 St. Charles's School,
Certified by the local Government Board for children from the Workhouses
Weald Lane, Brentwood.

After accessing him on page 5 (picture of Census) you need to access page 1 to see the above address in Brentwood.

There is also a possible birth on civil registrations:-  www.freebmd.org.uk

Charles Eaton born June Quarter 1881  Holborn 1b 747. However there is also a death of
a Charles Eaton in same registration district and same quarter aged 0.

The dates of the Census were taken were:-

Sun/Mon. 3/4th April 1881  (so probably not born)
 Sun/Mon. 5/6th April 1891

Any problems please come back.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 September 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
I agree that he is probably the Charles Eaton in the 1891 census; I remember unravelling a family at another board a while back whose name varied between Heaton and Eaton.

For info, Charles appears in the Canadian database of Home Children:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

Surname: HEATON
Given Name: Charles
Sex: M
Ship: Sardinian
Year of Arrival: 1893
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 1893-06-29
Arrival Port: Quebec
Arrival Date: 1893-07-09
Party: Catholic Rescue and Protection Society
Destination: Montreal, Quebec
Comments: Rev. Seddon in charge with 50 children

I had wondered about this person in the 1881 census in St Geo in the East:
Charles Eden, 1, born St Geo in the East (birth reg Sept Q 1879 St Geo in the East)
- but he is in Gateshead in 1891 so not him.

If he was actually 10 in the 1881 census, though, he should have been born between April 1880 and April 1881 -- but 10 may have been less than accurate.

In 1881 there were no Heatons in St Geo in the East, but there were numerous Eatons. I might wonder about this household:

Mary Eaton, widow, 45, hawker, born Co Cork, Ireland
Martha Eaton, daughter, 21, servant, born St Geo in the East
Elizabeth Eaton, daughter, 15, hawker, born St Geo in the East

Either daughter might have had a child. Or, in 1871 there are also two sons:
James c1859 and Daniel c1862 (Jun Q 1861 St Geo in the East). Daniel may have married in 1890.
I can't see them in 1861 offhand.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 13 01:40 BST (UK) »
Also in an institution in 1891, born in St Geo in the East, are

George Eaton c1877
Albert Eaton c1879

both in St George in the East Industrial School in East Ham.

There might be a good possibility of them being siblings.
So far I haven't identified them positively in 1881.
A George Eaton c1878 with grandmother in Edmonton is a possible; there is a Jun Q 1877 birth to match.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your suggestions and help towards finding the pieces of a very complex puzzle.  Will pursue your links and probably get back to you soon.   Good to have another brain (s) in on the search.  Thanks again