Author Topic: charles heaton  (Read 14028 times)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: charles heaton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 September 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
Just conveying all this info to my friend via e-mail.   Hope she's pleased.  A couple of nagging thoughts: Sarah Heaton died 1866, can't be right if she's on the 1871 census, so will have to check that.  Mystery as to where they all went in 1881.  Still more digging then,  but  delighted you've found the connections between Hawkins/Heaton. Yes, it would have been good to have had these letters right from the start but at least I got them eventually and they've proved invaluable.  Reply from Hamilton Heaton descendant.  Says he will dig out letters from Hamilton.  They may reveal more.  Hope so! 

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
That was just an initial possible theory about Sarah Heaton's death -- Ralph Heaton apparently didn't die when I surmised either. ;)

The implication seems to be that Sarah was deceased when Ralph died in Australia. There doesn't seem to be a death for her in NSW.

Jamison didn't die until 1902, though, so all we can really tell from the letters is that Sarah was deceased by then, as Mary referred to her in the past tense when talking about Jamison's debts.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's right.  Worked out from letters that Ralph would have died in 1894 and there's a match.  Think you already suggested that.   Checked the marriage between Charles Heaton and Marie Louise Dusseault in 1910.  Managed to get parish record.  All in French but from what I can understand, it has stated both partner's parents.  Charles' were Charles Andre Heaton and here's the interesting bit, mother as Mary Miller,  parish of St Marie and St Michel, London.  Wow!  that's a surprise.  Need to check all this.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Ye gods.

I wonder, again, whether surnames were being mixed and matched, and the mother was really Mary Heaton, the father was Miller, and the parents were not married. Because there is sure no Heaton+Miller marriage to match that.

A Charles George W Miller was registered in St Geo in the East in June Q 1880, but that is not likely anything.

And now I have some work I can put off no longer!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, me too.  Just don't realise how the time flies when you're having fun!  :o

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 September 13 20:39 BST (UK) »
Got yr PM -- still curious myself. ;)

I'll send you an email address -- do you want to send me the parish record for Charles Heaton's marriage? I speak French, and it's likely as you say, but just to see whether there's anything hiding there.

Oh heck, you may as well send me the letter scans too. I'm trying to figure out the chronology ... was the talk about Jamison's debts after he died (I assume), what year was Mary Allport talking about Sarah Hawkins Heaton in the past tense, etc. May as well just try to sort it out for myself!

It seems to come down to: Sarah Hawkins Heaton must have been dead when Jamison died in 1902, at the outside.

And if Charles Heaton's mother was Mary Miller ... it doesn't say who his father was? ... then his father must have been some kind of Heaton and thus related to Ralph Heaton rather than to Sarah Hawkins Heaton ... unless Mary Miller was her name by marriage, or by partnership, or she subsequently married a Heaton or ..........

Anyhow, send them on and I'll take a stab at it!

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
I think it's like you said before, to hide that you are illegitimate then you would say that your surname was your father's name and not your mother's maiden name- re: Annie Heaton only told her daughters their real name when they were to be married and then pretended she had been married to a Heaton, when in reality they were illegitimate.  Charles Heaton was prob illegitimate and so would have preferred to say that his father was a Heaton and not a Miller (he said this was his mother's name - Mary Miller)  So where does the Andre come from?  Andrew Miller?  There are plenty of Charles A Millers around at the time and place of his birth but none with the distinctive 'Andre' middle name.  To me it sounds too French for the London district of Stepney. 

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at 'em all now and just sent you the translation of the marriage info. I'll put it here.

Remember that the priest was francizing things --
Ste Marie and St Michel = St Mary and St Michael
Charles André = Charles Andrew

Marie Louise Augustina Dusseault
and
Charles Heaton
The seventh of June nineteen hundred ten
after the publication of a bann of marriage, done without objection at the [?] of our parish mass on the fifth of this month between: Charles Heaton, merchant, domiciled in this parish, son of full age of Charles André Heaton, mechanic, and the late Mary Miller of the parish of Ste Marie and St Michel in London, England, and Marie Louise Augustina Dusseault, daughter of full age of the late Hubert Dusseault and the late Luce Douville of this parish; the contracting parties having obtained on the second of this month, from Monsignor Jean Baptiste Comeau, Priest, canon and Vicar General of the diocese of Trois-Rivières, dispensation from the other two banns; no impediment having been discovered or objection made to this marriage
We, Priest, canon, curate, undersigned, having received their mutual consent to marriage and having given them the nuptual blessing in the presence of Léon Giguère, witness for the husband, and J.H. Dusseault, witness for the wife, who have, with the spouses, signed with us.
This having been read ------------
[signatures of the 5 people named]

I misread the [deux du courant] part in the copy I sent you -- it is fixed in this one (they obtained dispensation on the second of the month). Also, the priest is speaking in the "royal we" -- he is the undersigned "priest, canon, curate".

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
Which is why I find it very interesting that St Mary and St Michael is very near to Commercial Road which is where Annie lived! Did Mary live with her between 1881 and 1891?