Author Topic: Margaret Gunn and Sullivan Keith  (Read 5410 times)

Offline akgagliani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Gunn and Sullivan Keith
« on: Friday 10 August 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
My maternal 3rd great-grandmother, Margaret Gunn, b. 28 December 1802 at Thurso, Caithness, Scotland married at Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland on 7 January 1825 to my maternal 3rd great-grandfather, Sullivan Keith, b. 31 May 1796 at Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland.

Margaret (Gunn) Keith, her husband, and siblings, John Gunn, Isabel Gunn, and Elspet (Betsy) Gunn emigrated from Scotland to Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada in the 1840's.
John Gunn married Nancy McKay and had a family, Isabel Gunn married Donald Grant and had a family, Betsy Gunn married Alexander Ross and had a family.

I believe that Margaret (Gunn) Keith could have been a daughter of Donald Gunn and Catherine (Gray) Gunn, but do not have a record of their children. 

Do you have any more information on Donald, son of Donald and Margaret (Keith) Gunn? Wonder if there is a connection.

Also, I am looking for the family/parents of Sullivan Keith. I suspect they may have been James and Margaret (Ross) Keith, and that his given name, Sullivan, is from the Ross family. Wonder if there was a Sullivan family (sounds Irish) connected? Found a Philip and Jane (Kelly) Sullivan at Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland in the I.G.I.

I know that Sullivan Keith was in Caithness as he is mentioned in in a book on the town of Thurso as failing to show up to court there. Think he may also have been at Lybster for a time.

Any leads or information is welcome.

Offline akgagliani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Gunn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Another thought on the Sullivan name as a given name found in a History of Caithness.

"Formerly Caithness was particularly distinguished for its military spirit. At the time of the Irish rebellion the county furnished no fewer than three battalions of fencibles, two of which did duty in Ireland for several years."

Maybe Margaret (Ross) Keith's father served in Ireland and brought back an Irish wife (Margaret's mother) whose maiden name was Sullivan. It is also known that John O'Sullivan of Capanaccus Castle, County Kerry served alongside Bonnie Prince Charlie in the Jacobite Rebellion. Maybe he brought other Irish mercenaries with him. There is also a "Laird Sullivan" in the IGI for Shetland married to a Barbara Mowat. Is Laird a given name or does it mean "Lord?"

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Gunn and Sullivan Keith
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
You don't -have- to look for an Irish connection. The 'Sullivan' could be from 'Suilven' (a close approximation to the pronunciation of the name would be 'Sooliven'), a mountain in the parish and district of Assynt in Sutherland ... It is -very- unusual as a first name, but, I suppose, possible nevertheless.

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Gunn and Sullivan Keith
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Margaret Gunn dau of Donald and Catharine (nee Gray) was Bap in Wick not Thurso and born Thrumster her sister Elizabeth was also bap Wick  and family abode was Ragra.
I see Sullivan( also written Sylvannas/Silvan ) and Catherine had 4 children bap in Thurso where Sullivan was a toll keeper.