Author Topic: Herm/Guernsey Oliver request  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Beth Adamkiewicz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Herm/Guernsey Oliver request
« on: Friday 13 June 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am completely at a standstill in my family research at James Henry Oliver born Island of Herm 1840/1 and have been for some time.

On the 1841 census he is listed as one of the 38 residents of Herm as a 1 year old living with a head of household Robert Oliver (age 40) Ann Oliver (age 50) and other children.. Mary age 15, Robert age 11, Isaac age 4. I have no idea if these are his parents and siblings, presumably due to the size of Herm they must be close family. There is also a Frances Oliver listed in another household on Herm also age 15 and presumably she could be of the same family.

By the time you get to the 1851 census he is living with his brother in law in Cornwall, and his brother Isaac is living on Jersey with his uncle. But the rest of the family are not mentioned, so presumably dead or all split up looking for work.

I have found a possible match for his mother on 1851 mistranslated on the census as "Rice Oliver" but it looks like Ann to me, with a daughter Margaret age 9. They are living as house lodge keepers on Guernsey. This could be another sibling - the age fits in.

I have no idea how the records for Herm work as I have never been, I would like to travel down there.

Anyone able to do a look up would have a lifetime of gratitude! Mostly interested if you can see any death records for members of his household.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herm/Guernsey Oliver request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I've locked this topic to prevent duplication of effort as you have an identical post here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689756.0

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea