Author Topic: Ridley's Stepney  (Read 1885 times)

Offline donaldridley70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ridley's Stepney
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Any Ridley's who have knowledge of or relationships in the Stepney area 1837 period. Would appreciate contact.

My interest is in an Alfred Ridley, recorded on 1851 Census. Age 14 (thus born 1837) Stepney, scholar at Adelaide Academy, Adelaide St in Stepney.
I need to find his birth. (If he were my relative his father would be a William Ridley.)

Note. He is not the Alfred Ridley born 1839 to Henry and Mary Ridley of Whitechapel

There were many Ridley's in earlier years in Stepney who were gunmakers. Are there any relatives of them out there?

Thanks for any interest.
Don

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ridley's Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Stepney/Whitechapel? Initially sounds likely. Are you sure this is not your Alfred? Are there many Alfreds born in the area around this time?

Offline donaldridley70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Ruskie it is so tempting..... the Alfred born of Henry/Mary Whitechapel March 21 1839 . His occupation was Watchmaker same as my grandfather. But he died Jan 31st 1902 according to an IGI record I have. My grandfather died 1918.

So I find myself thrown back to the Alfred at Adelaide Academy who fits the later Census info I have of my grandfather (i.e. born 1837 Stepney) and wonder where he came from or if he were a John/Frederick or what have you, known as Alfred. Again I have pursued that theory but so far no luck.

No unfortunately I cannot find any other Alfreds other than the aforementioned Alfred son of Henry, born around that period. Incidently he was still with his parents on the 1851 Census. So he's not the one at the Adelaide Academy

I know there were other Ridley's in the area around the 1837 period and some were William Ridley's (My grandfathers fathers name) but I cannot find a link.

On a later Census of 1861 another Alfred is recorded in Clerkenwell as a watch finisher age 25 born Clerkenwell. I don't know if he is the same as the 1851 Alfred it's possible. The age and where born differ but......?

I'm sure it's staring me in the face.......and may suddenly appear.

Thanks Ruskie.
Don

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
The only death registration on Free BMD for 1902 is for an Alfred Edward RIDLEY who died aged 0 in South Shields, so this couldn't be the one born in 1839 - the old IGI isn't always 100% reliable.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline donaldridley70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Well methinks you're right. I went back to check and I can't find this Alfred now either.

Thank you Rambler. Throws up a question again. Ah well soldier on.