Author Topic: Mungo Major of Andover  (Read 1364 times)

Offline antiqueone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mungo Major of Andover
« on: Monday 31 March 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have lots of information on Mungo Major, but I can't find anything on his Marriage or Birth.
Below is all the information I have. Can anyone steer me towards his Marriage and/or birth?

Mungo Major ‎1 Facts and events
Birth  about 1712 
Occupation  1760  ‎2 Brewer / Inn Holder Andover, Hampshire, England
Occupation  6 April 1762  Brewer Andover, Hampshire, England
Occupation  6 July 1771  ‎1 ‎3 Inn-holder Andover, Hampshire, England
Will  6 July 1771  ‎4 Andover, Hampshire, England
Death  before 21 October 1772 
Burial  21 October 1772  Andover, Hampshire, England
NotesFamily with parentsFather  … Major  (Birth: )Brother  John Major ‎1  (Birth: )Brother  Mungo Major ‎1  (Birth: about 1712 - Death: before 21 October 1772 )Family with wifeWife  Mary … ‎1  (Birth: )Son  George Major ‎5  (Birth: before 5 September 1745 Andover, Hampshire, England)Son  Thomas Major  (Birth: before 7 April 1747 Andover, Hampshire, England - Death: 28
November 1811 Stockbridge, Hampshire, England)Daughter  Elisabeth Major ‎1  (Birth: before 29 August 1749 Andover, Hampshire, England)Daughter  Jane Major ‎1  (Birth: before 15 May 1753 Andover, Hampshire, England)Sources

1. Winchester Diocese Will

2. Newspaper Reading Mercury - The Industrial and Loan Exhibition. Amongst items on display was an old bottle dug out of the site
of the old Fleur de Lis, London street, inscribed Mungo Major 1760 belonging to Mr A Sapp.

3. Newspaper The Salisbury and Winchester Journal
ANDOVER, HANTS.

TO be SOLD by AUCTION, at the George Inn, in Andover, on Saturday the 20th day of November next, unless previously disposed of by Private Contract, of which public notice will be given, the several Freehold MESSUAGES, LANDS, and PREMISES following, late the property of Mr. MUNGO MAJOR, deceased, viz.
Lot 1. Two MESSUAGES or TENEMENTS, with a Malt-house, Stables, and Gardens to the same belonging, eligibly situated in the High-street, in Andover, near the London Turnpike Road, in the several occupations of Mr. George Potticary, Mr. John Bennett, Mr. William Parsons, and Mr. John Cooke.
Lot 2. A MESSUAGE or TENEMENT, and Garden, with a Barn, Granary, Farm-yard, and Stable thereunto adjoining, situate in New-street, in Andover, in the several occupations of Mr. John Evans and Mr. John Rout.
Lot 3. Such ALLOTMENT as shall be awarded by the Commissioners for enclosing the Common Fields of Andover, in lieu of several pieces of arable land, lying in the said fields, which allotment is already staked out, and consists of about four acres of exceeding good land near the Weyhill and Western roads, and within a quarter of a mile of the town.
Lot 4. Two MESSUAGES or TENEMENTS, situate in King's-Head-street, in Andover, in the several occupations of Thomas Mason and Thomas Futcher.
N.B. The above premises, (except the said allotment, which is untenanted) are occupied by tenants at will, and are capable of much improvement.- For particulars apply to Mr. John Todd, or Mr. Bird, jun. attornies at law, in Andover.

4. Winchester Diocese Will I Mungo Major of Andover in the County of South-hamton, Inn-holder, being in sound mind and memory, and upon due consideration had, do make this my last Will and Testament this sixth day of July in the year of Our Lord One thousand seven hundred and seventy one. After my Debts and Funeral Expenses paid by my Executrix herein after named, I give and bequeath to my beloved Wife Mary all my Lands, Tenements, Goods and Chattels, and all my Estate and Effects, real and personal, whatsoever end wheresoever to enjoy the same during her natural Life and at my Decease an Inventory to be made of all my said Effects, And at the Decease of my said Wife, all the said Effects to be equally divided and shared betwixt my Son Thomas and my Daughters Elisabeth and Jane, but if either of my two Daughters should die before Marriage, then her Share to be equally divided betwixt the two Survivors, and if two of them should die then the whole to go to, the Survivor. I give to Robert Paterson and to Mary his Wife, and to James their Son conjoyntly the sum of twenty pounds to buy them Suits of mourning Cloathes, the said Sum to be paid by my Executrix immediately after my decease. I give to my Brother John Major the Sum of two Shillings the week, to be paid weekly to him on his order during his natural Life, to be paid by my Executrix, and after her decease, by the Legatees. I appoint my said Wife Mary to be whole and sole Executrix to this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking and disannulling all former wills by me made. In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand and Seal the Day and Year above written.
Signed, sealed, declared and acknowledged Mungo Major
by the said Testator, as and for his last
Will and Testament in the presence of us
the said Testator, and in the presence of us,
and in presence of each other, and at
his desire have set our hands as witnesses
hereunto the day and year above written.

Robt Piper
John Knapp Junr
Isaac Leach

5. East Street In dependent Church, Andover register
Green Kingsthorpe Northamptonshire, Dunkley Brington Northampton, Bunting Long Buckby Northamptonshire, Haycock Hellidon Northamptonshire, Osmond Hungerford Berkshire, Major Stockbridge Hampshire, Liddiard Eastbury Berkshire, Spackman Bromham Wiltshire