Author Topic: Donald Campbell  (Read 26463 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Campbell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have been doing more on this side of the family...father's as he probably knew the least about his mother's history.  And he is in his 80s now so what you have sent is most helpful.    My father is Malcolm Jardine Spry and his mother was Marjorie Adelaide Jardine b. PEI.  Her grandmother was Adelaide Campbell, PEI...sharon
Any dates at all to go on. Your father was b 1920? So if his mother had him at the age of 20, she may have been born just prior to the turn of the century.  So on that basis her grandmother would have been born 1830 ish?  Is that about right?  Showing my ignorance what does PEI stand for.  Illinois?

Also any idea of either the age of the people when they arrived or a date and name of the ship when they emigrated.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi clazey, nothing but questions.

Just looked at your original posting again, Donald married Margaret Fullerton in 1730 and immediately left for Canada?  If that is the case then he is possibly not from my connections, most if not all those on my tree and Donald Campbells tree were stay at home.  But will double check, just in case.

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 September 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Here is what I have from PEI:  John campbell, b. Richmond Bay, Princes, PEI, son of Donald Campbell and Jane Murray married Ann Rix 24 August 1842, North Bedeque, Lot 25, Prince, PEI.  There were two children:  Adelaide and Hugh John Campbell.

Adelaide married David Jardine, December 1868.  Their son, John married Inez Storey who was my grandmother's mother.

I heard from a gentleman in Newfoundland who places the family in North Carolina before the Revolutionary War.  They remained Loyalists and subsequently left for Barbados and then Nova Scotia and PEI.  I have done some poking around in NC records and there is a marker there regarding their flight...and since the only location mentioned for Campbells in that area was Argyll...have hunted around there.  Are you in touch with Mr. Robear?

John Campbell above was b. 1819...what few records I could find regarding Richmond Bay, indicated that his father, Donald, was also born there but could not get past him.

sharon

Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 October 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Clazey,
I had a look at Ancestry and Mr.Robear also there was another tree
Capellisr
Mr Robear had it stated that Donald Campbell was married to Jane Murray, but I could not find any more information. The other tree did not seem to know anything about the family Family.

I also tried to contact Argyll Family History Society Link: landnafhg[at]fsmail.net (replace [at] with @)
There was a mention of a Donald Campbell b. Southend Argyll in 1786.
Would it be reasonable to say that his parents left Argyll between 1725 and 1730.  I think it would help pin it down if we could find the name of the ship that he arrived on. I have found several Donald Campbells born in Argyll around 1786 and their parents names, but will now go back and check for a Donald Campbell born prior to 1730.  No idea of his age when he arrived in PEI and quite a few Donald Campbells have fathers named Alexander.  If you want the information which I have found for 1786 let me know and I will transfer them to Rs.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 October 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
In both my families of Campbells, Argyll and also Harris, they have brothers with the name of Alexander and fathers.
As I understand it, the first born son is named after the wifes father as a note of respect, same with the girls named after the wifes mother, then the second is named after his father and so on.
I noticed that John, Donalds son named his son Hugh John, so could that not be a clue.  Either that her fathers name was hugh, or that his grandfathers name was Hugh.
I also saw on Ancestry that there is a family researching the name of Rix.
Namely Mary Rix 1818-1864 m  Ephraim A Strang 1817-1885.
Will check SP for Donalds birth between 1700 - 1730 in Argyll, or see if I can find the birth of an Alexander or Hugh who may have moved to Canada and let you know my findings. If no joy with that could try the LDS or one of the other FMBD sites.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 October 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
Ok its late and I am going to bed, but before I do.
There are
8 Donald Campbells born in Argyll (yrs checked 1700 -1730)
between 1708-1729
0 Hugh Campbells for the same period.
8 Alexanders between 1703 - 1729
23 John Campbells between 1700-1729

If I check to see if there are any parents names which are exactly the same and you can find out your end which ship they arrived on and the date of their arrival we could be in business.  What do you think? Also did you say that you had his death cert. Does it not state on there who his parents are?
And where in Argyll they came from to shorten the odds somewhat.

Process of elimination.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 October 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
You are a marvel.  I teach school...History...and finally the weekend is here so will scour through what I have.  After my grandmother died, it was discovered that everything...all the family pictures, Jardine genealogy books she had...including Campbell information she had from her father...had disappeared.  Her daughter had taken it and since she is now deceased...long gone to one of her children...maybe.  I had found most of what I had from the PEI site and there is a Murray tree there as well as Rix.    I will also go back and check through some of the North Carolina genealogy books which are available here in Jacksonville, FL where I live.  I think there is a mention of several of the ships which arrived there as part of the Campbell migration.  I was puzzled by the Hugh...did not seem to fit the usual naming pattern.  Will let you know what I find after my visit today to library.Sharon...
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 October 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
I found some interesting things in North Carolina genealogy...including an answer tothe name, Hugh.  Hugh Fullerton, 1 July 1758.  300 Acres in Anson County on SW Pee Dee River, joining near head of brown creek, William Little and both sides of branch of Hills Creek at the Indian Camp.  He then purchased an additional 300 acres with same descriptor except it was above James McManus acreage.

Hugh Campbell, 20 February 1735. 640 Acres, in Blades Precinct on the Westernmost Branch of Hammonds Creek joining Frances Thomas.

Hugh Campbell, 17 June 1736. 640 Acres, N. Hanover Precinct on E Side of C, Fear River, below Irbys land joining the river below Fergus clearing.

Donald Campbell, 10 May 1760. 150 Acres on Cumberland County, E. side of the NE River of Cape Fear.

There is a will for Hugh Campbell, County Not Given.  January 28, 1737.  Wife, Magdalen.  Witnesses:  Cornelius Harnett and Richard Shaw.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 October 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
William Fullerton vs. Jas. Stewart and Sarah, May 30. 1789.  Sub. to examine wits. at Samuel Nox (Knox) of Wilkes Co., GA.  David Bridges and Robert Campbell in behalf of John Medlock and Wm. Fullerton, summons by Henry Heryford.  (2) David Bridges affid. Wilkes Co., Ga, stated he was present when Sarah Stuart wife of Jas. delivered to John Campbell a cow and a calf in lieu of a "furr hatt".  Stuart had "taken of Campbell during the late Warr."  Campbell sold the cow and calf to John Barlow and same cow and calf John Medlock and Wm Fullerton have their note to J. Stuart for June 20.  (3) Robert Campbell affid. Wilkes Co., Ga, "heard Sarah Stuart, wife of James, say she would let John Campbell have a cow and a calf for a furr hatt which was plundered from him during the late warr, which Sarah said her husband had and wished to pay him.  June 20.