Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77172 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #162 on: Saturday 20 September 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
Just had a peek ... biggest will so far. I can't see that this is the will of 'our' Thomas Davies. The property is Tythin Strygos, the phrase, "large and ample manor, (sic), manner" is a common phrase used in wills,  (there is another one at the bottom of the page), and is the equivalent of, "enjoy". I see at least another 4 properties mentioned, (2 in Llandewi) but there is no mention of Bryn Issaf or anywhere that we know of that connects to the Richards family. This includes the names of others mentioned in this will, (except for the Richard David). There appears to be some argument between the parties regarding the will. Someone else owned some of the property that was bequeathed, etc. There is no mention of a wife or children either and just a 'nephew' to indicate that he had a sibling.
 My searches have produced wills as follows
 Thomas Richard, 1676 Bond, of Lledrod. Wife, Margaret Thomas, Bonder is John Thomas.
 David Richard, 1688 will. Son, Edward David, Dau' Hannah David, sister Mary Richard.
 Thomas Richard, 1677 will. Sons Richard, Morgan and David Thomas.
 Richard Evan, (son of Evan Richard, dec.), 1767 will. Bequests to uncle, Morgan Richard,
    Elizabeth  and Sarah Richard, aunts and Morgan Owen, Brother.
 David Richard, 1775 will. Lledrod.Brother Lewis Richard.
 This list is a good example of how patronymics can muddy the waters for us researchers!
                          Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Just been having another close look at the 1756 will of David Richards, Gent, Llandewi Brefi. After reading of the bequests to his sons and grandchildren, there is more stuff and then, right at the end of that para ... "to my youngest son, David, I leave the sum of 1/=". (I've seen this in various other Richards wills where someone who is already well-established, receives a nominal sum).
 I wonder if this is the David of Ffosybleiddiad. The eldest daughter, Elizabeth, has had 9 children at this date and would give a DoB of C1710, and David, a later date. (We know that Thomas Richards of Bryn Isaf was also born at around this date). David of Ffos and Thomas, as brothers, would explain the Indenture that shows Thomas, Jane and Letitia as being deceased. Letitia was David's wife.
(And there is this quote from you)
[1757,an indenture of £100-David Richards of Foesybleidded(sic) and Letitia his wife to Edward Richards of Spytty Ystrad Meyrick(sic) re a property called Bryn Merllyd and a note of 1764 acknowledging repayment of capital and interest by Thomas Richards.]
(This transaction, of 1757, is made shortly after the death of David Richards, Senior).
 I also see, from the will, that David senior was quite a wealthy Gent. Notwithstanding the cash bequeathed, there are no less than six farm properties bequeathed.
 We knew nothing about David junior until he moved to Ffos, but we have the above Indenture and another that shows David moving to Ffos at around the same date. I think that we are looking at two brothers, the sons of David senior of Llandewi Brefi.

Regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Yes,it's possible they were brothers-I had such a query in my notes.If the 1737 marriage of David Richards and Letitia Parry is the correct one this might also indicate a birth for David in the 1710s,consistent with the possibility.
Not that I'm suggesting it,or that there is a shred of evidence,but someone born in the 1710s could be a suitable grandfather for John and James!

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
I still favour Thomas, Hendre Rees,, son of Morgan, as being the father of John and James. I have been looking at the Elizabeth Richards that is also included in the 1777 Indent, (that refers back to 1762), and wondering who she could be. She is shown as 'widow' in 1762 so must have been married to one of the Richards in the area. With James being born in 1763 she is not his mother and therefor not the wife of Thomas of Hendre Rees. It's possible that she was the wife of a son of David of Ffos, or even ditto for Thomas Bryn Issaf, David's brother. (It's because they all appear on the 1762 Indent. that gives me that impression.
                     Regards from Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Saturday 27 September 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth was the wife of the son of David of Ffos, also named David. We have him selling the water mill at Lledrod in 1786. He then moved to Tynllan, Lledrod and died in 1810. His wife, Elizabeth is named as executrix in his will.
 I'm off on a 10 day Scandinavian trip tomorrow ... Norway, Denmark and back to Sweden so be prepared for delay.
                           regards from Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Saturday 27 September 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
There is also of course the 1830 will for Elizabeth of Tynllan,but the timescale seems too long for this to be her.I will look further while you are away-have a good trip.

Regards
Roger

Offline zyder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 28 September 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
My G G Grandmother is Catherine b1844 daughter of Michael Richards b1798. I came across your thread today which is most interesting. I think I probably need to read it a few times before taking it all in...or better, hope you reach a conclusion in the meantime! :D I'll sit on the side as I don't want to spoil the thread but just wanted to introduce myself as a distant relative and say hello.
David
Richards of Llannerch-y-medd, Llaneugrad, Llanbabo - Anglesey

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 28 September 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat-please feel free to make any contribution.As you can see we've been struggling for quite a while.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 28 September 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
  Welcome to this topic Zyder. I am now in Norway so I don't have my notes to hand. But, using memory, are you speaking of the Michael Richards, 2nd son of the Rev. John Richards? I remember his Dob because my father, Michael, was born 100 years later, in 1898. Shame on me but I forget who Catherine was married to. Give me her married name and I will give you her history.
                                         Croeso. Peter.