Author Topic: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century  (Read 23334 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Milton Of Connage Farm
Ardersier, Inverness, Inverness-Shire IV2 7SX

Newton of Budgate Farm
Cawdor
Nairn
Inverness-shire

www.budgate.co.uk
Tel: 01667 404256

It is a Bead and Breakfast establishment.

Regards

Malky

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 June 11 20:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Tammy,

Thanks to Malky for answering so promptly!

I have nothing to add on Budgate,  but might mention that there is in fact one other page on RootsChat mentioning Milltown of Conage:  it appears about halfway through the opening post in the "daughter thread" mentioned in the post just above yours in this thread,  and demonstrates that Malky and I share the same opinion.  You will find the place easily enough on the Ordnance Survey large scale map -- e.g. via Streetmap.

As to any McDonald connection,  I am afraid I cannot spot anything.  The OPRs show that William M:Donald married Sarah Davis (da. of Thomas Davies the engineer, per me) at Inverness on 6 January 1806;  and the IGI mentions two probable sons -- Thomas (bapt. 14 Apr. 1806 -- bit close!) and Duncan (bapt. 27 Jan. 1808),  both christened at Inverness.  I know of nothing to connect William McDonald himself with Miltown of Conage,  beyond his father-in-law's one-time tenancy there as recorded in the NAS agreement.  At the time of the couple's marriage,  Thomas Davies's canal work would have kept him very close to Inverness;  but I suppose his wife and children could have spent some -- or a lot -- of their time at Miltown,  assuming the tenancy already existed,  and was retained.

So any link between William McDonald and your Katherine and Hugh McDonald would (on present knowledge) be very conjectural.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline St Bernard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 October 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
Here's another connection for you. Archibald Dunbar Taylor who married Mary Davies was, according to a family tree, "... a civil engineer under Sir Thomas Telford in the construction of the Caledonian Canal. He lived at Inverness and Shrewsbury and later went with his wife and family to Canada as an engineer on the construction of the Rideon Canal."

Jan

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 October 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
SATURDAY, 7 APRIL 1832 – Preston Chronicle Issue 1023,
On Monday last, at our Parish Church, by the Rev. R.C. WILSON, vicar; Mr Roger OWEN, formerly of the Maria Terrace, Aberystwyth, to Ann, daughter of Thomas DAVIES Esq, of Davies Place, Inverness, and sister of Owen DAVIES Esq, M.D. of Chilwell Hall-Notts.

This would seem to indicate he had a house called or at Davies Place.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 October 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Pastmagic

The original poster (Rol) offers some thoughts upon the marriage entry you refer to at the very beginning of this long (but very thorough and fascinating) post.

CELTIC ANNIE --  great great grandaughter of the said Roger Owen and Ann Davies!
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 October 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
That is so funny! I must have skipped through too fast - my brain is dysfunctional today! Hope the mystery does get solved....Often wonder how those ancestors would feel if they watched our efforts to unravel where they lived and what they did....

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
 ;D I'm sure they'd think we're all mad, Pastmagic! 

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline St Bernard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
I can add information based on family notes on two descendants of Thomas Davies .

Jane Davies married a Dr. Foster and subsequently James Barnard by whom she had two sons both of whom died in infancy. She was a widow by 1860 when together with her nephew Thomas Malligaum Taylor she purchased a property at Upper Melbourne in the Province of Quebec. She died during the 1860s and the property passed to her nephew. Initially it was just a summer residence but some time after 1905 it was taken over by Arthur Robinson and his wife Mary Beatrice Taylor who invested heavily in it. It was sold in the 1940s to the Roman Catholic Church.

Edward Davies was a naval doctor who at one time lived in Bideford in Devon. He died on June 4 1874 at Shooters Hill, Woolwich. He had no offspring.

Jan

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 November 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think the location Davies Square has over time become:
Davis Square
Muirtown St, Inverness, Inverness-Shire IV3 5JH, UK

There were/are several lanes/squares/courts off Muirtown Street/Wells Street.

Nowadays that whole area has been redeveloped as terraced housing - as a kid (50 years ago?) I recall the area was a mix of old housing in various states of repair. It is about 200 yards from  the very fancy block of apartments (Telford Villa?) in Telford Street which I was told was built for the managerial staff involved in constructing the Caledonian Canal.
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)