Author Topic: Ann McDonald born 1826 Uachdar  (Read 12630 times)

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann McDonald born 1826 Uachdar
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Searching an Ann McDonald born in Uachdar about 1826.  Her parents were Norman McDonald of North Uist and her mother Jessie MacAulay of South Uist.  Also researching other MacAulay's that came to Prince Edward Island especially the Tracadie McDonald's.  Norman McDonald and Jessie MacAulay settled in lot 59 PEI and Dan McDonald settled in Cape Breton and I found Dan McDonald through Rootschat.    Ann McDonald did not emigrate with her family and she does appear in the 1841 census.

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ann McDonald born 1826 Uachdar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
You have me a little bit puzzled. Was the Ann MacDonald who seems to have remained behind located  somewhere other than Uachdar? I do have an Ann in Uachdar aged 14 in 1841 and so born 1826/7 but she was a daughter of Ranald MacDonald who lost his right leg at Quatre Bras on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo. I assume Norman and family must have left sometime before that? Angus

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, Norman had a holding costing £6 per annum from the first Factor Robert Brown rent roll in 1806. In addition, he worked at the Uachdar drain. It is recorded that in 1808 his wife was a dairymaid at Nunton, the island's main house and farm, until a little earlier the home of the Clanranald chief but which by then was in the hands of Robert Brown and, from 1811, of his successor as Factor, Duncan Shaw. Norman remained in the rolls as a crofter and in the kelp lists until 1821 but then disappeared from the record. This would presumably not be when he emigrated if he had a daughter in Benbecula in 1826. In that case, he may have lost the lands and become a cottar as he would not then figure in the written records.

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
Angus thanks so much for the new information.  Sorry to confuse you Ann McDonald is a bit of a mystery because the rest of the family emmigrated but she stayed behind.  Either she got married or stayed with relatives I assume. 

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
Where can one obtain copies of the rent rolls? Are they in Mr. Lawson's books?

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Jehane: nothing published on the rent rolls, I am afraid and precious little detail so it is pure luck that Norman's job at the drain and wife are mentioned. They only refer to the land holder so there is normally nothing about family. They are in the Clanranald chest at the Scottish National Archives. I will have a look for Ann MacDonald. I wonder what you have to suggest she was still present in 19841? Also, do you have a date for the family leaving. If it was anywhere near 1841, I wonder if they had simply moved from Uachdar to another township. Incidentally, the MacAulay wife coming from South Uist will probably not have stopped her ancestry being from North Uist; if she was Protestant, that would have been a certainty. Angus

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
I think this is the family listed in 1841 cenus of Parish of South Uist.  I thought the family came in about 1833 but it sounds like Dan McDonald may have come with other extended family members to Cape Breton.  Another son James is not shown here either but he could have immigrated earlier or be working his birth was in 1820.  Jessie MacAulay was a Catholic before she married Norman.

Norman Macdonald   60
Tossy Macdonald   50 (should be Jessie)
Ann Macdonald   15
John Macdonald   13
Angus Macdonald   10
Cathrine Macdonald   8
What is the drain?

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Found them. They were not in Uachdar proper but in the Uachdar of Gramsdale. Uachdar is literally 'the cream' i.e. the upper part of something and here it was applied to the neighbouring part of the adjoining township/farm of Gramsdale. It is late now but I will see what I can find about Ann in the morning. angus

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 12 01:03 BST (UK) »
thanks for all your help!