Author Topic: James CANNELL Rushen  (Read 11312 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James CANNELL Rushen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Wm Cannel was a shoemaker but son James could have been a fisherman (many in Rushen were + could combine this seasonal job with other jobs) - no burial noted in Rushen reg (might just be worthwhile looking at MI's in case noted on parents grave) - other thought is to look at newspapers c. 1826 in case lost at sea tho suspect as more than a mile from Douglas any event in the distant parish of Rushen would be ignored by papers of this period - I only looked at the presentments tthere may be something more in actual court records as normally both parties would be censured - if James was dead by court this would be noted.
There were a couple of wrecks in 1826 (eg Nellie and Nancy of Derbyhaven but part owned by James Watterson + others of Rushen (tho no details are given in book on Manx Shipwrecks)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 06:48 GMT (UK) »
thanks for all the info. Some of the later members of the family emigrated to the USA, one of them was Elizabeth Margaret Cannell who married Thomas William Stonnell. On her immigration document in 1922 she is listed as Margaret, and her nearest living relative, from the country which she came , was Aunt Ellen Christian of 5 Lindon Grove, Douglas. Can anyone please tell me which Ellen Christian this refers to, as there were so many! if it helps, in 1911, my Cannell family were living at 15 Woodbourne Square, Douglas....thankyou

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:16 GMT (UK) »
had a little time spare in Manx Museum - no additional info in any of ecclesiastical court records of 1826 re James Cannell - the putative father Wm is buried Rushen 18430409 age 70 - his decree in 1848 followed petitionn by E M Gawne (widow of Edwd Gawn) that Wm Cannell(Jakes?) late of Rushen considerably indebted and no admin - widow Cath Cannell + dau Ann(w/o Edward Watterson) - court notes died some time ago intestate leaving Anne(w/o Edward Watterson) only child - Edwd appt admr - inv £64 7s of wch £60 is the dwelling house in Port Iron [Port Erin] - no mention of James

Can't help with Aunt tho except that address is prob Linden Grove a small cul-de-sac off Victoria Rd Douglas

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for taking the time to research for me, it is very much appreciated. So it seems that if James is from this line, he is probably deceased by 1848. Or maybe I have to look for a different James Cannell.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have seen MI in 1869 Yard at Rushen - C 20   In Loving Memory of / JAMES / the beloved husband of / MARGARET CANNELL / of Bradda who died March 24th 1912 / aged 53 years / also JAMES HAROLD / beloved eldest son of the above / died April 29th 1916 / aged 19-1/2 years / also WILLIAM JOHN and MAY / children of the above / who died in infancy / Until the day dawns and the shadows flee away / also the above named / MARGARET CANNELL / who died Feb 4th 1947 / aged 80 years.

this would appear to be s/o John + Margt Christian

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 November 13 06:20 GMT (UK) »
but I am looking for a James Cannell who will have been born around 1800, who fathered John with Margaret Christian in 1825. Another option I have is a James Cannell who died in Braddan in 1825 and was married to an Esther Christian. 

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 November 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I think this James Cannell was the son of John Cannell and Cath Clucas, and was married to Margaret Quirk.