Author Topic: fife family names  (Read 20147 times)

Offline kirky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
fife family names
« on: Thursday 09 June 05 20:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for people with these surnames and places

Kirk- Dunfermline/Lochgelly
Philp- Coalton of Balgonie Markinch/Newgilston Largo
Gourdie-Balmalcolm,Kettle/Lochgelly
Wishart-Pitlessie,Cults
More-Ceres/Lochgelly/Cowdenbeath/Cupar

Offline pamissearching!!!

• RootsChat Veteran
  • searching..............
    • View Profile
Re: fife family names
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 05 03:26 BST (UK) »
sorry Kirky, but I dont have any of those families.
prince,bolt,mcleod,mckenzie,robertson,southgate, rider,fry, riddle,neale,taylor,newton,blythe,worrall,gunn,skingley,stewart,morrish,morriss,cobb,skull,carey, Miller, ALexander,

Offline jhhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
fao Kirky; pptaylor; sgt tollers
MELVILLE, PHILP, THALLON

Isabella Melville married George Philp 8th Oct 1796.  She was born in 1768 in Coaltown of Balgonie to David Melville and Katherine Smith. The Philps were another old Coaltown family and I have details of George's family back to his 2nd Great Grandfather all living at Coaltown as far back as 1693.
George and Isabella are my 3rd Great Grandparents. Their daughter Barbara Philp married George Hutchison (at one time publican at Coaltown) whose Grandmother was (I believe) Isabella Thallon who is listed in the FFHS list of Burials at Markinch.  I have nothing more on the Thallon family and would welcome any information.

ftp://

Offline kirky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 05 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thank's for that info there could be a connection somewhere, my ancestry with Philp surname start with James and Grizel Philp nee Hutton married 1786 in Kennoway but there first four son's where all Born in Markinch one of them Robert Philp born 1790 stayed in the Coalton of Balgonie on of his many children was named George born 1818 in Kettle he is my 3x Grandfather.

Offline sonjainoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 05 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kirky;

I have a Christina Low PHILP b April 1844 of Ann LOW and David PHILP. Apparently she was born in "Brunthill, Inverkeithing, Fife," which seems like 3 wild guesses to me!

I have no other sibs or whatnot for her. She married Alexander KELLY in 1864 and had a tribe of kids. She came to Australia with the family and died here in Brisbane in 1888.

Any connection?

Sonjainoz.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 03:26 BST (UK) »
Sonjainoz,

Have you tried the IGI at
http://www.familysearch.org

It has (extracted entries from church registers) the following:
David PHILIP m Anne LOW, 12 Nov 1842, Dunfermline Fife
David PHILLIP m Ann LOW, 21 Nov 1842, Inverkeithing Fife
(These are presumably Banns being called in both the bride's and the groom's parishes).

Also records of the following children to them:
Margaret PHILP b 1 Feb 1857, Inverkeithing Fife
Agnes PHILLIP b 1 Jan 1860, Inverkeithing Fife
David PHILP b 26 Oct 1862, Inverkeithing Fife
The above are extracted from the Statutory Registers (statutory registration began in Scotland in 1855).

There are also LDS patron submissions for several other children (these might, or might not, be reliable):
Andrew ca 1843
Christina ca 1845
Isabella ca 1847
Helen ca 1849
Anna ca 1852
Georgina ca 1855
Andrew ca 1866

As David and Ann were still having children after Statutory Registration was introduced, you should be able to find their death certificates on ScotlandsPeople (a pay per view site) at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

These should give the names of their parents ...

Incidentally, PHILP (and variants) is a very common name in Fife.

Regards,

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 03:56 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Inverkeithing Parochial Directory at:
http://fifefhs.org/Records/Directory/inverkeithing.htm
lists under 'Farmers'
Philp, David, Burnthill

In the 1881 census, David is listed at Annfield Farm, Inverkeithing:
PHILP David, Head, Farmer of 124 acres arable employing 1 man, aged 59 and born in Aberdour
PHILP Ann, David's wife, aged 60 and born in Inverkeithing
PHILP Georgina P, David's daughter, a Domestic Servant, aged 26 and born in Inverkeithing
PHILP Margaret, David's daughter, a Domestic Servant aged 24 and born in Inverkeithing
PHILP David, David's son, an Agricultural Labourer, aged 18 and born in Inverkeithing
PHILP Alexander, David's nephew, a Gardener, aged 18 and born in America
PHILP Robert, David's nephew, an Agricultural Labourer, aged 16 and born in America
PHILP James, David's nephew, a Scholar, aged 15 and born in America

You should be able to find the entry for David and family in the 1871 census which is available on ScotlandsPeople.

The entry in Mitchell's 1972 book of West Fife Memorial Inscriptions reads:
Aberdour, St Fillans Churchyard, Wester Churchyard, #13 David Philp farmer Burnhill & Annfield 20.9.1885  63, w Annie Lowe d. here 11.2.1910  89, chn Bella 26.11.1869  23 d. Brisbane Queensland (w of John Martin), Annie 16.3.1873  21, Christina d. Brisbane Queensland 23.3.1888  44 (w. of Alex Kelly VS, Georgina d. Powstanie Guardbridge 12.7.1933  81 (wid of David Erskine farmer Myrend Gairneyhill); 1886.

A transcription made by a member of the Rootsweb Fife mailing lists reads:
The first is a very imposing (expensive) obelisk inscribed on the top 'PHILLIPS' although the other inscriptions are PHILP, it is inscribed on three sides - side 1 "Erected by Annie Low in memory of her beloved husband David Philp farmer Burnthill and Annfield who died 20th September 1885 aged 63 years also the above Annie Low who died at Aberdour 11th Feb 1910 age 89 years, Asleep in Jesus far from thee/Thy kindred and their graves may be/But thine is still a blessed sleep/From which none ever wakes to weep"; - side 2 "and of their daughter Georgina Widow of David Erskine farmer Myrend Cairneyhill who died at Powstanie Guardbridge on 12th July 1935 aged 81 years"; - side 3 "and of their family Bella wife of John Martin who died in Brisbane Queensland 26th Nov. 1869 aged 23 years.  Annie who died 16th March 1873 aged 21 years.  Christina wife of Alexr Kelly V.S. died also in Brisbane Queensland 23rd March 1888 aged 44 years".

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 05 03:55 GMT (UK) »
sonjainoz,

I didn't hear anything back from you about my two posts above.  I trust all is well.

By chance today I was looking back through my children's PHILP/PHILIP line and decided to purchase/download the death cert of Christina (PHILP) KELLY's father David PHILP.  And this linked him, and all his descendants, to my children's PHILP/LOCHTIE lines (LOCHTIE a very rare name - there was much intermarriage).  I Googled for PHILP+genealogy+Fife+Inverkeithing and ended up back at my own posts on RootsChat!  Apart from David's daughters Christina and Bella, a son (Andrew) of David's brother (John) also went to Queensland (and seems to have ended up as PHILLIPS).  There were, of course, many PHILPs who went to Queensland but this is the only line where I can make a connexion - this is rather unfortunate given that the unconnected ones all seem to have been persons of note.

I wonder whether you are still reading RootsChat and whether you have extended your own knowledge at all.

JAP

Offline sonjainoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 05 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP,

Sorry I have been a bit slack. Back from UK & Paris just 3 weeks ago and the work has gone nuts!
I had been hoping to get to the said cemetary and take photos but I will have to do that another time! I do have pics of graves here in Qld if you are interested.
I guess you are related to the 'colonists" lol! I have a lot of information on this family here in Australia. If you are interested, I am more than happy to share!
Many thanks for all the info you so kindly passed onto me. I really do appreciate it - I am just a bit slack! My family history searching goes in fits and farts! Sometimes it is all, sometimes it is zip!
The PHILP/KELLY family were quite noteable here in the Brisbane area. The family married into the UHLMANN family (my hubby) and into the PAVEY family- bakers and grocers. All very prolific breeders, I might add, at the risk of offending someone! Huge family limbs here!
LMK if I can help with any of the Ozzie stuff.
Warm regards and many thanks once again.

Sonja