Author Topic: fife family names  (Read 20153 times)

Offline JackyF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: fife family names
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirky,

I wonder what you have for WISHART in Cults?

I've now found 2 generations of Wishart ancestors born in Pitlessie, the only village in the parish of Cults.

David (b1830), the father of Robert (b1852). David married Isabella Scott in 1859 so I can't be sure is she was Robert's mother. The family moved to Edinburgh by 1861. Just to confuse matters Robert's marriage cert lists Isabella Scott as his mother but his death cert lists Agnes Ramsay!

J
FITZSIMONS - Edinburgh, Scotland & Co Cavan, Ireland
FITZSIMMONS - St Louis, Missouri
McHUGH - Co Leitrim, Ireland
WISHART - Edinburgh & Fife, Scotland
BLAIK - Edinburgh
DOBBIE - Edinburgh
GRAY - Glasgow
KIELY - St Louis, Missouri
CORCORAN - St Louis, Missouri

Offline kirky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 February 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your reply,
Here is my direct line so far.
William Kirk m Margaret Douglas 1791 Dunfermline
Peter  Kirk  m Janet Stewart 1823 Dunfermline
Peter Kirk   m Agnes Walker  1859 Dunfermline
Archibald Carmichael Kirk m Helen Anderson Gourdie 1899 Lochgelly
The birth dates for William I do not know at this time and the second Peter was not registered but according to his death cert he was born about 1836 in Dunfermline

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello JAP,

You will probably know me from the postings that I make on the Fife Board. Although I now live in the Land of Oz (Australia), I was born in Kirkcaldy, went to my first school at Auchterderran, lived at Easter Lathrisk Farm near Freuchie with my family at the end of World War II. I still like to think that I'm a Fifer at heart!

I must admit to being absolutely delighted to see your comments relating to such families as PHILP, HOY, and SHARP. You are giving me quite a few "leads" that should keep me out of mischief. Although your comments were not directed at me, nevertheless they will help quite a few people out there as we try to link various individuals to the information that we have put together.

Again, very many thanks for a job really well done.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

It's always a pleasure to see someone new turning up on the excellent RootsChat :)

As you possibly have twigged, my children's paternal ancestry comes from Robert Lochtie PHILP/PHILIP (1825 Fife-1868 Vic, Aus), son of Robert PHILP & Margaret LOCHTIE/LOCHTY of Aberdour/Dalgety Fife.

Robert PHILP (1792-1843) was the son of John PHILP (1764-?) & Margaret SHARP (1764-ca 1799).  One of Robert's brothers was Andrew PHILP (1790-1839) who married Isabel HOY.  And one of the children of Andrew & Isabel was David PHILP (ca 1822-1885) who married Ann LOW (ca 1821-1910).

Best regards,

JAP

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 20:13 GMT (UK) »

Hello JAP,

It really is great to hear from you, and yes, certain little clue's had begun to click - but that can be put down to my days in the Old Bill in the U.K.!

When you made mention of the Lochtie/Philp connection of 1868 in Victoria, Australia, that really made me sit up since I live just outside Frankston in Victoria.

Would you believe, I used to go to school with a member of the Lochtie family when I went to school at Freuchie in Fife. It really is a small world, isn't it?

The Philp and Hoy families keep popping up in some of those dark and dusty corners of my personal family files and one day I will commence an investigation of all those things. You're perfectly correct about the Fife Board. I really do enjoy helping people out to the best of my limited ability, and when I work with people such as yourself, Monica, Sancti, etc., I feel quite privileged.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline Sheena-Ann Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 March 14 10:38 GMT (UK) »
My son in law is a direct descendant of Barbara Philips and George Hutchison via their son Andrew Hutchison.  I am researching their family tree at present.  I can give you full descendants coming forward from Andrew.   Many of the Hutchisons are stillliving near Markinch in Coaltown and Glenrothes.  Please contact me -(*) I'd love to 'tie' our family histories!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Sheena-Ann Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
George Hutchison - Barbara Philip...children = Janet Hutchison - 20 Dec 1836, Markinch, Fife; George Hutchison - 23 Jul 1838, Markinch; William Hutchison - 26 Mar 1840, Markinch; Robert Hutchison - 17 Nov 1841, Markinch; David Hutchison - 12 Aug 1843, Markinch; John Hutchison - 6 Apr 1846, Markinch; James Hutchison - 4 Sep 1848, Markinch; Lucy Hutchison - 3 Nov 1850, Markinch; Andrew Hutchison - 5 Jul 1852 (direct link to my son in law); Alexander Hutchison - 1 Apr 1854, Markinch; Margaret Hutchison - 29 Mar 1857, Markinch.
ANDREW HUTCHISON married Jeannie Jackson on 13 Nov 1874 at Markinch.  I have two children listed - Andrew Hutchison (*) - DOB missing, Markinch; David Hutchison - DOB Missing, Markinch.
ANDREW HUTCHISON married Jane Mitchell Thomson on 10 Jan 1908 at The Manse, Markinch. I have three children listed for them - Andrew Hutchison (*) - 17 Nov 1908, Markinch; George Hutchison - 4 May 1920, Markinch; William thomson Hutchison - 19 Mar 1922, Markinch.
ANDREW HUTCHISON married Jane Isaac Duncan on 4 Oct 1935 at Leslie, Fife, Scotland.  I have EIGHT children listed for them - Andrew Hutchison - 29 Sep 1936, Coaltown of Balgonie;  Robert Duncan Hutchison - 17 Feb 1942, Coaltown of Balgonie; James Thomson Hutchison - 30 Mar 1943, coaltown of Balgonie; John Duncan Hutchison - 15 May 1946, Coaltown of Balgonie; George Hutchison (* my son in law's father) - 5 Apr 1950, Coaltown of Balgonie; Janet Hutchison - DOB MISSING; Jean Hutchison - DOB MISSING; Margaret Hutchison - DOB MISSING (the latter three are believed to be triplets buried at Markinch Cemetery - the parent refused to talk about them to anyone!)
For privacy reasons please excuse me if I dont go any further forward!
Many of the family are still living in Coaltown of Balgonie; Leslie and Glenrothes.