Author Topic: St Mary's Parish Cemetery Lookup-Photo request  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Mary's Parish Cemetery Lookup-Photo request
« on: Wednesday 07 May 14 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

My great great grandmother Johanna Williams nee Hurly is buried at St Mary's parish church in Conwy. Her dates are 1806-1846 she died after birthing my great grand aunt, Hannah Williams (likely buried with her). Johanna was the wife of Robert Williams Esq., so I am hoping she has a memorial. I would dearly love a photo of her headstone if one exists.

Rachel Williams (in Canada)
Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Parish Cemetery Lookup-Photo request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,    I live about 5 miles from Conwy and could try to find and photograph the grave for you but will not be able to get there until next week.    I dont know if you are aware but  according to the burial records a Hannah Williams, age 5 months of Lancaster Square was buried on 23 June 1846.   A Johanna Williams age 36 of Lancaster Square was buried on 26 July 1846, but as you say this does not mean there is a headstone.          Best wishes, Gwynd

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Gwynd :)

Yes, that is them. Her husband, is buried at Trinity Churchyard Penrhyn-Deudraeth. He died in 1869. I am hoping to get that photographed as well --- although I do have the epitaph.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 May 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

I have just been to St Mary's Parish Church to have a look as I live in Conwy, but no luck I'm afraid. Parts of it are overgrown with bramble so I couldn't get to all the headstones.
I went to Conwy Library as I know The Gwynedd Family History Society issued booklets on Memorial Inscriptions from the parish some years ago and I found the information there.
The Inscription reads:-
Sacred to the memory of Joanna wife of Robert Williams H.M. Customs who died 22nd day of February 1846 aged 36 years.
Also Anna daughter of the above Robert Williams by Joanna his wife who died 20th day of June 1846 aged 5 months.
It all seems to fit apart from the babies name which you gave as Hannah and they have stated Anna.
Perhaps Gwynd will have more luck and find the headstone for you, but quite a lot of them have been removed.
Kind Regards,
Ellenmai

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the "H" was illegible over time?

At any rate I am beyond grateful for you having taken the time to look for the gravesite. This information allows me to add a findagrave entry for her. I use findagrave as an opportunity not only to honour our family members but to help descendants find leads to their past.

Thank you again Ellen--- I am exceedingly grateful to you

Rachel in Canada

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 May 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,       I was also at St Mary's Church this afternoon and luckily found the grave.  (As Ellenmai said there are a lot of overgrown graves) .     I have taken several  photographs of the grave, church yard and also Lancaster Square which is the address given on the burial records and will work out how to send them to you.   I think I will have to send them by personal mail as there are too many for here.     Also  the grave clearly states Anna and not Hannah which is in the burial record!!
          Best wishes,  gwynd

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 May 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
Gwynd and Ellen I am beyond thankful.

I just sent you an email and yes all those photos would be welcome. The square is beautiful I have seen it courtesy of Google street view.

I have the Baptism records from 1843. They are of interest because early on in the census data the birth places are given as Ireland for some of the children then later changed to Conwy--- this makes sense because as the years went on the Baptism records were likely used.

Johanna's name spelling appears as Joanna I see and also her date of death is given as Feb 22. The church burial record lists July though.

So thankful to you both--- obviously if any one here has relatives who emigrated to Victoria BC I would be more than happy to return the favour. My family owes you both and the rootschat community a large thank you. This site has been instrumental in tracking down my ancestors

Rachel Williams :)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 May 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have added the photos Gwyn provided to my ancestry.ca family tree and will use them to build a memorial on findagrave giving credit to Gwyn and Ellen :)

I cannot thank you both enough!

I'll add a couple of the photos here for anyone who may have found this thread of interest.

Rachel

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
I'm so pleased Gwynd found the grave. I can't believe I missed it :-[ Think I need some new specs! I had thought about going with a pair of secateurs and cutting away the bramble & ivy if Gwynd hadn't any luck either. It's so sad to see some of the graves are being damaged with the lack of maintenance.
Thanks for putting the photos on for everyone to see, I find it really interesting. I must walk nearby on that pathway at least once a week, a lot of the locals use it as a short cut through the town.
I lived at Lancaster Square as a child in the 1950/60's and it has changed so much over the years. Most of the accommodation is over the shops, do you know what number they lived at?
Kind Regards,
Ellenmai