Author Topic: Henry WILLIAMS of Bangor (born 1818)  (Read 1554 times)

Offline brougham peter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry WILLIAMS of Bangor (born 1818)
« on: Thursday 22 May 14 05:52 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather, Henry Williams (born 1818, probably on Anglesey), lived in Bangor, Caernarvonshire for most, if not all, of his life. His known addresses were 6 James Street and also King Square. He married Elizabeth Jones, probably a widow.  They had two sons, William Henry Williams (born 1857) and Owen Williams (born 1861).
Since I live in Australia, any information about Henry Williams would be much appreciated, but especially his exact dates of birth, marriage and death. Similarly I would welcome any information about Owen Williams.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HENRY WILLIAMS OF BANGOR (BORN 1818)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 May 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have found them in Bangor on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Census but they do not appear to have a son named Owen - they have two sons - William H born 1857 and Thomas H born Sept 1860 as he is 7 months old in the 1861 census which was taken in April 1861.  The two sons are the same on each census. 

There are no obvious entries in the 1891 census for the sons - they would probably be married then and I can't see Henry and Elizabeth.

Two possible deaths for Henry 1887 and 1899 quite a few for Elizabeth, 1881, 1887, 1896, 1903 and 1905.

Offline brougham peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 May 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Nestagj

Thank you very much for your efforts. Yes, I am aware that Henry and Elizabeth had two sons, William Henry and Thomas H, but I believe that the latter changed his name (or simply adopted the name of Owen) a few years later. This is because 30-year-old Owen (described as William’s brother) turns up in the 1891 census in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.  Thank you too for the possible years of death for Henry – my wife has been searching for this for ages and continues to come up against a brick wall. Oh for a less common surname! We are still anxious to discover when and where Henry and Elizabeth were married.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Although both are very common names, I'm really tempted by this marriage:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCKG-HVF

Do you have access to the FindMyPast pay site?  It gives more info but, unfortunately,  we're not allowed to give this info because of their Terms and Conditions.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
A couple of baptisms that might be worth checking:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQFG-MH2
and
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X15P-K2B  -probably the same with a link to FindMyPast:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCKL-K1P

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
No problem at all - I realised that I did not give you the quarter and district on the deaths - will have a look later and let you know.   Unfortunately the only you will know for sure is by geting the certificates.

Williams was a lot easier than my lot .....Pritchard, Jones, Hughes and Roberts with only one first name!

nesta

Offline brougham peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry WILLIAMS of Bangor (born 1818)
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 May 14 03:24 BST (UK) »
Nesta

Thank you for your posts. I look forward to receiving whatever you can find.

Peter.

Offline brougham peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry WILLIAMS of Bangor (born 1818)
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 May 14 03:28 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Thank you very much for the links. The baptism on 16 February in Beaumaris looks very promising. If it reveals that HW's parents were Robert and Jane, we have opened up a completely new trail.

Peter.