Author Topic: Scobie/Allen  (Read 3161 times)

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
Scobie/Allen
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on John Scobie married to Elizabeth Allen.  do not know their dates but daughter Janet Allen Scobie was born May 5 1846 and Married John Archibald who was born ??? they had a Son David Archibald born in Scotland in 1864.  Since most of my ancestors were from the fife area I posted here. At some point they immigrated and settled in Pennsylvania.  David and his mother Janet died and are buried in Pennyslvania. but that is the extent of my information. Did John and Elizabeth have any other children?  Did John Archibald and Janet have any other Children? Who is Elizabeth Allen"s family I have no dates for any of them except Janet and her son David would appreciate any help. If anyone else is connected to this family I have death certs for Janet and David...  Beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Scobie/Allen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Beans ,

How sure are you about John Scobie / Elizabeth Allen ?

Found this 1851 Census transcription -
Merryhill , Dumfermline , Fife
David Scobbie 25 farm servant born Alterber(?) Fife
Janet Allan 26 wife b. Clackmannanshire
Janet Scobbie 6 dau. b. Clackmannanshire
Mary Scobbie 4 dau. b. Saline , Fife
Euphemia Scobbie 1 dau. b. Inverkeithing , Fife
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

Also -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBKX-N7H

Not sure if that helps or not  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Janet Archibald death certificate lists her father as John Scobie and her mother Elizabeth Allen and gives her full name as Janet Allen Scobie Archibald born 1846 in Scotland.  On her son David Archibald's it lists his parents as Janet Scobie and John Archibald the informant on both is Mrs. H. R. Miller, I have no idea who she is only that they were all born in Scotland which means Janet Scobie and John Archibald married in Scotland also.   beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This looks like the couple's wedding - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY76-4LD
Janet Scobbie and John Archibald married Larbet, Stirlingshire 30th Dec 1871, The original registration of this marriage can be viewed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk . I don't know if you are familiar with the site but a cost of £7 buys 30 credits. With the info provided above you should be able to find and view the record at the cost of 6 credits (£1.40).
The original record should have the bride and groom's parents names , father's occupation and whether they are deceased. The info would be provided by the couple at time of marriage. The death certificate info could be wrong, it's only as reliable as the memory or knowledge of the person who registered the death.
Also this could be of interest - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYP1-D2T
Looby :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Given that Looby has found a marriage in 1871 I therefore wonder if David b 1864 was born illegitimate. There is a birth for a David Horn Stobbie 30 June 1864 in Larbert, Stirlingshire mother Janet Stobbie.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)