Author Topic: German Ancestors in the North of England  (Read 23437 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors in the North of England
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi SwissGill,

could you add your comments here please, so we have all the discussion in one place.

Topic: Possible database: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.0.html

thanks,
Bob

ps. long time no talk :) We now have a chat room again on the german forum, but only in german - no english nights :(
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 September 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
I have one German Pork Butcher in my extended line. Charles Frederick Schiefler, born about 1866, Germany. Pork Butcher in Millom, Cumberland. Married Malinda Castle who was originally from Mary Tavy, Devon. Marriage date/place 15 April 1895, Millom. Charles Frederick died 29 December 1942 in Millom.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 September 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Updated:
Topic: Possible database: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.msg4634669.html#msg4634669

regards,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 October 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
The Database for Special Interest Groups (DBSIG): German Pork Butchers is now officially open. :)

There are about 60 records in the database which I gleaned from various pork-butcher topics: most of them only have a surname at present. If you have german pork butcher ancestors and have contributed on this (or any other pork-butcher)  topic, please check if your entries are in the database and edit in any missing details ... and add more family members :)

To get to the database,

- Click on the -Button at the top of any page.

You are now in the RootsChat Reference Library

- Click on the -button

Please add your feedback and queries on
Topic: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.30.html

Enjoy,

Offline Haichem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 September 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
Both my great grandparents were part of the German Pork butcher migration from Wurttemburg:  Christian Alexander STEIN (Kunzelsau/Castleford) and Margaret HAFFNER (Hohebach).  As far as I know Alexander Stein was the only one of his siblings to come to England, but all of Margaret's siblings came and settled here, including their parents in retirement.  All the first generation of Haffners in England married into other German families (FUCHS, NICKLAS, RUMMLER, MOGERLEY).  Before the marriage of Alexander and Margaret (in Wakefield, WRY) she was working for the SCHWAB family in Wakefield, and Alexander worked for a STEEGE family in Bradford.  After their marriage they opened a Pork Butcher's shop in Castleford, where Alexander eventually built his own premises - still there today, but sadly boarded up and looking very sad - not as I remember it in my childhood, when it was a thriving shop, eventually sold to Farm Stores (started by Mr ZIEGLER).  Maybe some of these names will strike a chord with someone?
England:  Castle, Darling, Ford,Oxley, Phillips (Yorkshire), Featherstone (Barnstaple), Turton (Wolverhampton)
Scotland (Stonehaven):  Phillips/Philps, Park
Germany, Baden-Wurttemberg:  Stein (Kunzelsau), Haffner (Hohebach), Rummler (Belsenberg), Rubmann, Breitinger

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 September 13 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Haichem and welcome to the Pork Butchers Family!

The Steeges and the Lindenbergers had shops a few doors apart in Bradford and were related. They were all from Künzelsau. Christian Lindenberger married my gt grandfather's sister, Friederike Pfisterer and Christian Lindenberger's sister married Frederick Steege.

However it would be better if we conversed on the Europe Forum. The thread is titled: German Pork Butchers.

I'm sure you'll get a hearty welcome there.

See you soon

Gill

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Haichem and welcome to the Pork Butchers Family!

The Steeges and the Lindenbergers had shops a few doors apart in Bradford and were related. They were all from Künzelsau. Christian Lindenberger married my gt grandfather's sister, Friederike Pfisterer and Christian Lindenberger's sister married Frederick Steege.

However it would be better if we conversed on the Europe Forum. The thread is titled: German Pork Butchers.

I'm sure you'll get a hearty welcome there.

See you soon

Gill

Great post Gill, lovely to see that there is a Family link  :D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline TigerRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Men of German Ancestry Serving in the Second Boer War
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 October 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Preliminary research for a project on local men serving in the Second Boer War has revealed some German names. 

One is a Harry WOLPORT (or WOLPERT etc) who served with the Yorkshire Regt.  I've come across him before when researching the German community in the Rotherham area - he was the son of Joseph and Lissetta Wolport.  He had served with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion York and Lancs before enlisting with the Yorkshire Regt at the end of 1892, and re-enlisted when the Great War broke out.  Another is George WAGNER, who I believe to be the son of a John Wagner, another family I have seen before and who came from the same area as my own German ancestors (Grossenlinden, Hesse).  A third name I am not familiar with is WEINECKE. 

I wondered if anyone else has come across sons of German-born parents serving with the British forces during this period. 

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 March 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone,
                 thought i might add some more info on the shy family butchers of blyth.
                 i have come across a link with george charles shy, born c1869 goole
                 yorkshire. george had a daughter called magdalene krafft shy c 1897
                 born blyth.

the middle name looks german, but the surname was used well before
                ww1. the probate record on the family show they did well.

there was a fred hall shy same family, who died in 1942 is buired
               at el alamein

regards,   william.

ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.