Author Topic: Does anyone live near Killmallock?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Does anyone live near Killmallock?
« on: Friday 03 January 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm after a huge ask if anyone lives near or reasonably close to Deebert Hotel, Killmallock?

The Deebert Hotel, was originally large Mills built in 1807 by James Creed...  Its listed in Lewis's Topography in 1837. Eoghan Caomhanach also wrote a poem about the mills called "In Praise of Killmallock Mills" which is quoted in full in "The Story of Killmallock" by Mainchin Seoighe.

On the Deebert Hotel website, they say the Creed arms? or crest remains on a carved stone on the main entrance which is more or less opposite the entrance to the COI Church....

If anyone lives near enough, weather permitting,  I would be be ever so grateful for a photograph of the crest.  I'm hoping its going to be the same as the one I have for another Creed - although yet to connect to them.

Many thanks in advance, and fingers crossed
Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone live near Killmallock? ***COMPLETED****
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I have now obtained a copy of the crest, which isn't a crest at all lol!

Although its shaped in a shield shape with possibly an ear of wheat? and the initials JC dated 1807.

Seems the GOON for the name Cree coordinator thought it was for the name Cree from Scotland and mistook the ear of wheat for a thistle ???  I'm still unsure of the emblem but it doesn't look like a thistle. 
Definitively not the case as James and his son Edward Moore Creed are linked to my Creeds through many land deeds.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.