Author Topic: George Elder death 1833 surrey  (Read 1915 times)

Offline historian1907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Elder death 1833 surrey
« on: Thursday 24 July 14 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
is it possible for someone to have access to Thames and Medway Burials to access the record
for the above man.  I know George was married to Sophia Riley in 1822, n they had 3 boys, Thomas. Daniel(my3rd gtgrandfather) and George, but then George (elder) died in 1833. wondering if the death record will give me any more information on George. Know he was a waterman on the Thames but know nothing of his parentage.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: George Elder death 1833 surrey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:31 BST (UK) »
The burial record only gives age, date of burial and abode.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Before Civil Registration began, on 1st July 1837, there were no death records ::)

As Rosie said, the burial record won't give you much information! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
The burial record is on Ancestry. George ELDER was buried at St Mary Rotherhithe on 22 Dec 1833 from George Street, aged 40. The Rotherhithe burial register confirms his occupation as a Waterman.

The Watermen's binding records show a George ELDER bound on 10 Aug 1809 to Harry Innott NAYLER of Rotherhithe, and freed on 9 Aug 1818. With this date of binding, you can ask for a lookup of George ELDER's birth/baptism place/date in the Watermen's affidavit birth proof books (from Trueflare, modest cost)
www.trueflaregenealogy.co.uk
Or the original records can be seen on microfilm at Guildhall Library, London (if you have access).

There's a possible baptism for George ELDER at St Mary Rotherhithe on 27 Nov 1791 to parents George Elder and Mary. George was recorded as 36 days old on baptism. Not quite a perfect match with his age at burial, but maybe close enough? His entry in the affidavit birth proof books would confirm.

Offline historian1907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 July 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies, a little bit of information will help me search further back and even the website given will have a look at. Thanks