Author Topic: Charles Harris Highworth Swindon Wiltshire  (Read 8662 times)

Offline ranger50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Harris Highworth Swindon Wiltshire
« on: Thursday 19 June 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information concerning my Great Grandfather Charles Harris. He was born c1862 Gloucestershire. However, he gives different information as to exactly where he was born in Gloucestershire in the 1891,1901 and 1911 census records which makes things difficult to try and find out where exactly he was born in Gloucestershire. I cannot seems to find him in any other census records. He married Elizabeth Austin 25/6/1888 Sunninghill Berkshire. He had 4 known sons. Bernard George Charles Harris born Highworth Wiltshire 1892-1966, Rawley Harris born Highworth 1894-1914 (WW1), Ernest Frederick Harris born Highworth Wiltshire 1895-1977 and Reginald Kenneth Harris born Highworth 1900-1983. Charles Harris died Swindon 1945. On Charles Harris marriage certificate he names his father as Joseph Harris. If anybody knows this family please contact me.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Harris Highworth Swindon Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 June 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to Rootchat  :)

Does the marriage cert of Charles and Elizabeth give his father's occupation or any witnesses with the Harris surname?

Kay

Offline ranger50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 June 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi I was not expecting a reply so soon so thank you. The marriage certificate just states that Joseph Harris was a Labourer. The two witnesses are Mark Keen and MaryAnn Austin. I do not know who Mark Keen is. MaryAnn Austin is the sister of Elizabeth Austin.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I see your problem.   The occupation doesn't  help much.    Our ancesters don't make it easy :)

Interesting that in one census Charles lists his birth place as Boddington near Cheltenham.   This may be a complete red herring  but just in case - this is a site that lists memorial inscriptions for the St Mary Magdalene's Church at Boddington, Gloucestershire. It includes a memorial to an Elizabeth HARRIS who died on 20 Sept 1874 age  40  http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Boddington/MIs.html   

Kay

Offline ranger50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay thank you for the information I had a look at the website. Charles Harris is bit of a mystery man I have done a lot of searching on Ancestry.com etc and I only have one lead at this moment. I get the impression that he did not know a lot about his own family. His parents may have died when he was young. I am hoping by joining this site that some members of his family might see my message and get in contact with me.

Kind Regards

Luke

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
It does sound as though he didn't live long in his birthplace and was therefore unsure of the exact location. 

Good Luck Kay

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
I think this thread may be better moving to the Gloucestershire board?
There are some Glos. experts there who go to the archives often, and might be able to find the birth?

Boddington is only 4 miles from Cheltenham, so is looking likely as a birthplace?

In my experience, the further away from home one travels, the less exact is the placename!
In do it myself! I grew up in Portishead, Somerset (12 miles from Bristol), but when I am away I invariably state Bristol as my home town?! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ranger50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 14 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi. thank you for your comments. I am not sure how to post this message on the Gloucestershire board I am not that good at IT but I will try. Yes Charles Harris always said he was born in Gloucestershire. 1891 census states Chellenham (Which is Cheltenham). 1901 census he states Cirencester and 1911 census he states Bodington which is just outside of Cheltenham. Researching him has made me study the geography of Gloucestershire and I think I know more about Gloucestershire now than my own state of South Australia. It should be interesting what Charles Harris states in the 1921 census, but I will have to wait some time before I can find out that information. The ironic part about Charles Harris is my father (as a young boy, still living) remembers Charles Harris during the war, but as a young boy my father never asked his grandfather any questions. Nevertheless the search goes on.

Kind Regards

Luke

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 June 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi. thank you for your comments. I am not sure how to post this message on the Gloucestershire board I am not that good at IT but I will try.

This thread has already been moved! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)