Author Topic: Mary Duguid & Hanie, Aberdeenshire  (Read 17188 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Duguid & Hanie, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 August 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm thinking along the same lines as flst in that the surnames of Marys mother are the wrong way around. The death registration indicates that Marys parents were not married, what it is saying is that Marys father was William Duguid and her mother was Elizabeth Walker m.s. (maiden surname) Barber but perhaps it should have read Elizabeth Barber M.S. Walker. The other entries on the Register page indicate the mothers maiden names and are not occupations.

There is a marriage on Familysearch.org 13th Nov 1830 Udny, Aberdeenshire and 21st Nov 1830 Monquitter, Aberdeenshire between Alexander Barber and Elizabeth Walker. The 2 references indicate that the bride and groom were from differnent parishes and probably relate to the banns being read. You would need to see the Parish Registers to see if the actual wording clarifies this.

As Mary was born before this my thoughts are that Mary was the illigitimate daughter of William Duguid and Elizabeth Walker, Elizabeth then subsequently married Alexander Barber. The 1851 census has Elizabeth born in Udny so the Kirk Sessions for Udny may have information re Mary.

Andy

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 August 13 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again. Thanks for the recent posts. My guests are gone, kitchen is clean, & I've a few minutes before bedtime. ;) ;D

Flst, you made a comment about the number of Barbers. While I'm not officially searching them, they seem to be a lynchpin to sorting through this situation.

I note there are quite a few Barber households in the Brownhills area of Monquhitter.There is a Garden Barber married to Jane Walker, who was born in the parish of Udny (as was Elizabeth).It is possible they were sisters. Alexander & Garden appear to be sons of James & Christine Barber who are also at Brownhills in 1851.
flst

I think that Alexander Barber (who married Elizabeth Walker) & had Mary Duguid living with him in 1841 & 1851 appears to be a half sibling to the following people. They share a common father in James (1774-1862), but must have a different mother as James Barber & Christine Milne (1786-1851) married Apr 1812 & Alexander was born abt 1802. :

George Barber 1813 – 1891 Canada (based on a tree I've not verified)
Garden Barber 1815 – 1878 USA (based on a tree I've not verified)
John Barber 1817 –
William Barber 1824 –
Arthur Barber 1827 – Scotland (based on a tree I've not verified)

I think one of these children had a child Elizabeth who is the 2 year old niece living with Alexander Barber in 1851. She goes on to be called a "daughter" of  Alexander Barber & he dies in her household in 1900 in Rennies Croft, Fyvie, Millbrex, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Hi Andy

There is a marriage on Familysearch.org 13th Nov 1830 Udny, Aberdeenshire and 21st Nov 1830 Monquitter, Aberdeenshire between Alexander Barber and Elizabeth Walker. The 2 references indicate that the bride and groom were from different parishes and probably relate to the banns being read. You would need to see the Parish Registers to see if the actual wording clarifies this.
Andy

I'll pull the marriage record off SP tomorrow to see if it clarifies the surname. I have the same marriage date as you do. In the event it is telling for those of you who know Scotland better than I, it appears that Elizabeth Walker was from Tillymaud, Udny, Aberdeenshire. The info I have for Alexander Barber includes a baptism in Sealscrook, Monquhitter, Aberdeenshire.

Thanks again for the help. My pillow I calling my name.  :)
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 August 13 07:58 BST (UK) »
One more thing before I go to bed.

John Duguid & wife Helen Simpson were at the baptism of Alexander Cheyne in 1849. I'm not sure how they fit in the picture or if it clears or muddies the water.  :-\ On a quick search,
- John Duguid 1805-1880 Garmond, Monquhitter
- Helen Simpson 1806-1883

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 August 13 18:45 BST (UK) »
John & Hellen Duguid are at Brownhills, Monquhitter in 1841 & 1851 censuses.If you use freecen you can scroll through the pages & see who the neighbours are !
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 August 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Mary's son George is my gg grandmother's 1/2 brother.

I can see that George was assigned the surname Barber / Barbour in 1851; but used Cheyne in 1861. I'm not sure which he used after that.
You'll be pleased to hear I found him (using the Cheyne surname) in the 1871-1891 censuses in Old Machar,Aberdeen.He was a railway employee.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 August 13 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi flst.

Sorry for sending you on a wild-goose chase on that one. It appears in that early post I typed his name incorrectly.  :-[ Mary's son was Alexander Cheyne. (I think I indicated his name correctly in all the other posts - sorry again.)

I'm home from a daytrip so will be going on-line with SP to see if I can find his dc. I started to look last night, but nothing was immediately obvious for an Alexander Cheyne b 28 Dec 1849, father John Cheyne / mother Mary Duguid.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 August 13 19:13 BST (UK) »

I'm thinking along the same lines as flst in that the surnames of Marys mother are the wrong way around. The death registration indicates that Marys parents were not married, what it is saying is that Marys father was William Duguid and her mother was Elizabeth Walker m.s. (maiden surname) Barber but perhaps it should have read Elizabeth Barber M.S. Walker. The other entries on the Register page indicate the mothers maiden names and are not occupations.

Andy

Hi Andy, I'm increasingly in agreement with you that it is fairly likely that Mary's mother was Elizabeth Walker & that the mother's surnames on the dc were flipped in error. For the moment, I'll leave that part of the search.

Now, I'm trying to sort through Alexander Cheyne, son of Mary Duguid & illegitimate son of John Cheyne.

(Sorry again flst for indicating the name George in an earlier post- this Alexander had a 1/2 brother George born one year later (1849) to John Cheyne / Ann Johnstone & if we've got the relationships sorted correctly on this thread, his grandparents (Alexander Barber / Elizabeth Walker) had a son George b1831.)

The last time I see Alexander is in the 1861 census with Alexander Barber & wife Elizabeth. He is shown with surname Cheyne, is 11 years old, and is reflected as grandson.

I thought I had Alexander nailed on SP as there was an Alexander Duguid Cheyne who died 1862 with mother's maiden name Duguid. Unfortunately, when I bought the record, he was an 8 mos old baby & his parents were married. :P

I've feel like I've been expending SP credits like a drunken fool. It's fun, but getting expensive.  ::) I'd like to contain it a bit if possible.  ;D Do you have any advice on what I should search next to try to find Alexander?

There is no Alexander Barber (he was shown with that surname in the 1851 census) with mother surname Duguid.

Any other suggestions?

Offline JENNYBROWN4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
M.S. Stands for Maiden Surname ie last name before marriage!!