Author Topic: Edward and Richard Merriman  (Read 7009 times)

Offline dtm0919

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward and Richard Merriman
« on: Friday 16 November 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information for Edward
Merriman, b. 14-Feb-1713 in Rothland, (Rutland)
county, d. 12-Mar-1745; m. Isabel Elizabeth Pelkenton
on 12 Mar 1745 at Samford Baron St. Martin
Northhampton, England. Elizabeth was born on 07 Mar 1720.
Elizabeth and Edward had a least 5 children all born
at Great Casterton-Cum-Pickworth, Rutland, England.
Their son, John I. Merriman, b. abt 1760 would be my
5th° grandfather.
Edward's father was Richard Merriman and the only
information I have is:
1712 Land Tax Return for Rutland
Richard Merriman – Pickworth – tax payable 5
shillings.
Any information or tips where to look would be
wonderful.
Thanks,
Dan

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Edward and Richard Merriman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan and welcome to Rootschat.

I am assuming your details relating to "Great Casterton-Cum-Pickworth" are from familysearch because Great Casterton and Pickworth are actually separate parishes and although various online sources suggest that the church at Pickworth was destroyed in the 1700s, separate parish registers for both were maintained.  The IGI has clumped them together, possibly because they only have the Bishops Transcripts which appear to have been combined for both parishes. 

Apart from the burial of Frances Merriman dau of Edward and Elizabeth which is in Great Casterton in 1762, the Merriman's were in Pickworth for at least two generations but it looks like they weren't from there originally.

Edward Merriman was baptised 14 Feb 1713/14 to Richard Merriman at Pickworth, no mother mentioned.    However his wife would appear to be Frances because of other baptisms:

4 Feb 1711/12 Frances Merriman dau of Richard and Frances
4 Apr 1716 Robert Merriman son of Richard and Frances
6 May 1718 Thomas Merriman son of Richard and Frances

All baptised at Pickworth.

I can't find a marriage for Richard and Frances in Rutland, so it may have been over the border in Lincolnshire.  Frances was buried in Pickworth on 24 Aug 1766 aged 82 years, can't see a burial for Richard at present.

Richard was baptised in Pickworth too:

3 Feb 1682/3 Richard Merriman son of Richard and Elizabeth

Richard Merriman married Elizabeth Wing at Pickworth 5 May 1676.

Richard snr was buried at Pickworth 29 Jun 1741 aged 106!  That may possibly be a little exageration of his age because there is a Richard Merriman baptised at Brooke on 24 Feb 1638/9 to Thomas and Grace.  There is a burial for a Richard Merriman in Brooke in 1639/40 but it doesn't list any parents, it could be this Richard or an earlier one who was in the parish.  Richard and Elizabeth did have a son Thomas baptised in 1688 in Pickworth.  However, owing to the proximity of Pickworth to the Lincolnshire border, he could also have been born over the county border.

Elizabeth wife of Richard Merryman was buried at Pickworth 3 Dec 1704.

John Merriman son of Edward and Elizabeth was baptised at Pickworth on 20 Jun 1760.

Leicester & Rutland Family History Society have transcribed all Rutland PRs up to 1840 and they are available to purchase on four CDs.  As there are Merriman's listed on all of the first 3 CDs which cover until 1812, it is probably worth your while purchasing copies if you do not have access to the original PRs.  They are available from here - http://www.lrfhs.org.uk/onlinecdsales.htm.
Pickworth PRs are on CD3 and Great Casterton on CD2, however as mentioned there are other Merrimans on CD2 prior to 1812.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dtm0919

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic. Thank you very much smudwhisk. Your information certainly opens
doors. I will pursue the cd's you have suggested.
My link to these UK ancestors is John Merriman, aka John I. Merriman. John emigrated to North America sometime between 1775 (guess) and 1790. I believe he arrived in the northeast area of
the US or Canada. By 1790 he traveled further to Louisiana where he settled
and married into the newly arrived Arcadian families that had been exspelled from
Nova Scotia. My overriding curiosity is why and how did John leave England. Convict,
indenturement, wanderlust; I wish I had some clue.
Thank you so very much for your research.
Dan

Offline dtm0919

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help from smudwhisk for CD's
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your information.
Checking the  http://www.lrfhs.org.uk/onlinecdsales.htm site,
of the 103 CD's listed 2 & 3 do not appear to offer Rutland information.
I'm sorry to be simple but will you tell me which three I should order?
Thanks very much.
Dan

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, probably not being clear.

CD70 is Vol 1 of Rutland PRs and is up to 1812, there is a list against the CD details of which are included.

CD75 is Vol2 which includes Great Casterton, among others, to 1812

CD95 is Vol3 which includes Pickworth, among others, to 1812

CD100 is Vol 4 and includes all parishes from 1813-1840

(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth Merriman marrying a John Smith in Manton Rutland on 5 January 1758......no more information to hand about Elizabeth Merriman ( the witness was a John Barfield, no parents except Thomas Smith as John's father)

You can check  1597-1812 Exton Rutland PRs and some other Rutland information on the documents page on http://familytimeline.webs.com
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dtm0919

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 12 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks iluleah,
I will check out the site. I have ordered the Rutland PR CD's as suggested.
I have references to a William Merriman in the same general area and time.
There are more vague mentions of a Thomas Merriman. Perhaps Elizabeth
is a niece, cousin, or even older daughter. I do have Richard's father as Richard,
m. 5 May 1676 to Elizabeth Wing and I need more information on this
relationship. Thanks very much for the info and site recommendation.
Dan

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry got father and husband around the wrong way........... husband Thomas, F in L John............
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend