Author Topic: James, Elizabeth & Alex Alexander at Craigo, Logie Pert 1840 -1880  (Read 20869 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James, Elizabeth & Alex Alexander at Craigo, Logie Pert 1840 -1880
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Q:-  When did Kincardineshire join into Aberdeenshire?  A:-  I am not sure but it has been that way for a good number of years now.  The only reason I mention the Logie Pert parish boundary matter is where James Alex., was buried as it could have been a consideration around the years 1869 or 1904 for your relatives.  I was looking for my copy of Alison Mitchell Pre 1855 Gravestones for Kincardineshire this afternoon but alas it is lost for the moment not that James Alex., 1869 would be in it but it would be worth a look to be sure.

I have a picture of your interest at Aberlemno so I will reduce it in size and post it for you.  Do you know what day you are likely to be there?

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers.   
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
We'll check the Marykirk Church cemetery if we have time for James and Ann (Taylor) Alexander.

Aberlemno is a scheduled morning stop on the way to Marykirk from Edinburgh on Sat, Aug 2nd.  My 2nd gr grandfather was also James Beattie...married to Ann (Clark).  Ann's parents Joseph Clark and Elizabeth (Stormonth) were married in the Aberlemno church in 1812...Elizabeth was born in Aberlemno in 1789.

We'll pass thru Hillside where the James and Ann Beattie above were married and worked/lived at the Hedderwick farms.  The James Alexander family lived in Hilllside as well on Lamondfauld, then moved to Logie Pert by 1861 when daughter Elizabeth was 3. The James Beattie family also moved to Logie where James was a bleacher at Logie Works.  James Beattie Jr was born at Logie Works in 1855.  James Jr and Elizabeth were married in 1882 in North Craigo.
Beattie, Barron, Tarves, Alexander, McPhee, Ghent, Gage, Davis

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
The Pict stone in the pic you sent is #2, the one right beside the Aberlemno Church...I believe it's the one with the battle scene on the back.  #s 1, 3, and 5 are just down the road on the way to Brechin.  #5 is faded and may be fake. #4 is in a museum.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 21 July 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Q:-  When did Kincardineshire join into Aberdeenshire? 

In the most recent reorganisation of local government, in 1994 or 1995.

For purposes of family history research, the boundaries of the local authorities any time after 1975 are not much use, other than to try to work out where the archives of the historic local authorities might now be.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 06 June 16 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again NW,

Remember I confirmed that Mary Carnegie, 1st daughter of Thomas, 4th Esq of Craigo, married George MacPherson Grant, NOT John Alexander, so not the same Mary Carnegie John married.  Well I have just recently discovered that the George Bertram MacPherson Grant family was the proprietor of the Craigo Estates which would include East Hill of Craigo that was farmed by Alex. Alexander and May Niddrie.  Appears the Niddries were there from at least the beginning of the 19th century.  Craigo Estates also included the Beattie/Alexander house in N Craigo (recently renovated and called Springbank Cottage).

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 06 June 16 08:58 BST (UK) »
Dear BB, I have not been into the Alexander family history for a while but it is good to hear that you are still busy around the subject. The Niddery or Niddrie side goes back for two or three generation in the records with one of them in the Tax Records as a Carter.  Scotland is having a period of very fine weather so it is lots of hard work at the garden crops just now.

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers 

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
May Niddery and her sister Jean were both born at Hill of Craigo...do you have any idea which Hill of Craigo farm?  We know her son William was born at East Hill of Craigo.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
I will have to go back to my notes to give you the Niddery family tree we have as it goes back a few generations but the OPR are not exactly wonderful on them.  nw_whiskers.

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 03:22 BST (UK) »
May Niddery was given the name 'May' at birth, but she is 'Marjory' on William's birth record...you would think it would be the other way around.