Author Topic: Helen (a.k.a. Ellen) Cameron b.1826 Scotland d. 1892 Montana USA  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Tara-Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen (a.k.a. Ellen) Cameron b.1826 Scotland d. 1892 Montana USA
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 04:47 BST (UK) »
I would really love some help with my 3rd great grandmother ~I have info. about her and her husband (John Merrigan) and their family once here in the states but really nothing on her family in Scotland nor how she met her husband who was born in Ireland.

I did find that she traveled with a Janet Cameron b. 1828 ~ I don't know if this is a cousin or sibling.

Any help or assistance would be great to add to the family stories

Thank You
Tara (Merrigan) Doyle

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen (a.k.a. Ellen) Cameron b.1826 Scotland d. 1892 Montana USA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
I seem to remember you posting a query about Helen /Ellen Cameron before.  :)
Can you tell us when and where she and John married? Were there no details of parents on the marriage cert? And, if it's been recorded, who were the witnesses?

It would also be good if you could list the couples childrens names (including any middle names) in the order of their birth. Sometimes the names of offspring can provide clues.

Lastly when did Ellen and Janet emigrate and where are they on the first Census they appear in the USA?
Sorry for the long list of questions ::) just trying to get to get some more info to work with.

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember you posting a query about Helen /Ellen Cameron before.  :)

To save duplication of effort, here's the original thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=647623.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian  ;) I thought I remembered a previous post. That will help!

Offline Tara-Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
This request is not a duplicate it's actually the extension of the other post as I posted it on the Scotland board to request information on the family before arriving in the USA.

Here's what I do have:

Helen (aka Ellen) Cameron is listed as traveling with Janet Cameron

Ship passenger record
Ellen Cameron b.c. 1825 age 19. Port departure GLASGOW Scotland
Arrival New York 1st august 1844. Ship name PERTHSHIRE :)

Looks like Ellen and Janet Cameron (aged 17 years - dressmaker) were travelling together. Janet was ditto female and ditto dressmaker.

Sandra

As far as a marriage certificate I don't have but I do have a copy of a marriage bann
Marriage Bann to Helen Cameron
7 May
Springfield Mass
Marriage Intentions (not banns) in springfield vital records of John Merrigan to marry Ellen Cameron, both of this city
Photos (1) (see attachment)

The family names and birth dates are as follows:

John Merrigan b. 1830 Ireland d. 16 Apr 1878 Boston Mass
Ellen Cameron b. 1826 Scotland d. 04 Jan 1892 Butte Montana

Children:
Michael Martin b. 7 Feb 1847 Hardwick Mass (USA)
John James b. 22 May 1850 Hardwick Mass (USA)
Isabel (Isabelle) b. 1853 Indiana (USA)
Thomas Joseph b. Feb 1855 Indiana (USA)
James     b. 1857 Indiana (USA)
Daniel V.  b. 1861 Indiana (USA)
Mary C.    b. 1867 Indiana (USA)

and that's basically it.  On her son's death certificate it states mothers maiden name is "Sterling" and I wondered if "Sterling" could be where she's from as all other documents state her maiden name is indeed "Cameron".

Once again all assistance is greatly appreciated and deeply treasured. Every time I've had a road block or a mystery you folks here have solved it and directed me in the right direction. So my many thanks for all the hard work and detective work that has saved me endless time in filling in the blanks <3

Tara

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 May 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
This request is not a duplicate it's actually the extension of the other post

No - but some helpful people might rush off and find all over again all the information already posted there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 May 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
Thanks for posting all that.

Firstly the marriage bann - Who was age 29 years? Was it John? If so his birth year of 1830 is a bit out, If he was born 1830 he would have been just 16 when he got married in 1846.

The children's names are interesting. Do you know the names of John's parents? If you do are any of the children called after them.

Regarding the "Sterling" on her son's death certificate. If this was a death many years after Ellen's death it could be that whoever registered the death wasn't sure and got muddled about Ellen's maiden name. And you are correct maybe the place name of Stirling had been mentioned in relation to Ellen's origins and was wrongly given as her name. But then again Stirling/Sterling is a surname too!  But if Ellen herself consistently gave Cameron as her name I would be inclined to beleive that was her name.
Her youngest child has the middle initial "C". I wonder if that is Cameron?
Looby :)