Author Topic: Is this a RC wedding?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Is this a RC wedding?
« on: Wednesday 04 June 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Andrew Fraser and Martha Cooper get married in Old Machar.

The OPR reads "Andrew Fraser in the parish of Fraserburgh and Martha Cooper in this Parish signified their purpose of marriage by Mr John Cadenhead, Elder and being thrice proclaimed, they were married on the 28th day of Nov 1826 by the Rev Charles Gordon Catholic Clergyman."

I'm used to seeing Elder and minister in the same sentence but I've never come across Elder and Catholic Clergyman together...can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a RC wedding?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Charles Gordon certainly seems to have been a RC clergyman:

http://www.scalan.co.uk/StPeters.htm#

could the banns have been called in both their parishes, but the groom have been non RC, they then married in the bride's parish, and she was RC?

Have you seen:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/fraser/messages/2028.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
Reading about his church, St Peter's, it seems that in timescale, the principal part of the congregation lived in the old parishes of St Nicholas and Old Machar.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
Charles Gordon certainly seems to have been a RC clergyman:

http://www.scalan.co.uk/StPeters.htm#

could one party have been non RC?
Hi Scotmum,
I don't think Andrew was RC - as a couple they never lived in Old Machar as far as I can tell they always lived in Fraserburgh. If Charles Gordon was an RC clergyman this does appear to have been a RC marriage.

Jen

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Up until the late 1930s banns could only be called in a Church of Scotland church no matter what religion the parties practiced. Banns could be called in Episcopalian chapels but they also had to be made in the churches to which the parties belonged as parishioners by virtue of their residence. I have a case where the banns were called in the local Church of Scotland church and the marriage took place in the local Catholic chapel. It may be worth looking in the Catholic Records section of ScotlandsPeople to see if the marriage was recorded in a Catholic register.

Eric

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
FWIW the Church of Scotland was, in theory, supposed to record all marriages in the parish, (and all baptisms) regardless of denomination.

So there is nothing to stop a couple being proclaimed in the parish kirk but married by a clergyman of a different denomination. If one of them was a member of the C of S then they would almost certainly apply for the banns to be called there.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
Has the Fasti been checked for a CofS Minister of the same name at that time?

Catholic in CofS terminology can mean the whole Christian Church and not necessarily "Roman Catholic".
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 June 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
From Scotmum's link I see bans were also called in Fraserburgh. I've checked the catholic records at SP for both marriages and birth and baptisms but nothing showing for the couple or their respective parents. The Rev Charles Gordon sounds a rather fascinating and much respected character I rather hope he married the couple.

It was only yesterday I confirmed who Martha's parents were - just had a look and they are still alive on the 1841 census living in Old Machar at 46 Gordon Street.  I've had a quick look at the Fasti but I'm not sure I'm seeing it in its entirety...almost hope I don't find another Charles Gordon.
many thanks for all the information
Jen

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 June 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
Up until the passing of the Catholic Emancipation act by George IV in 1829, Catholics were obliged by law to notify the session clerk of the Church of Scotland parish(s) in which they resided of their intention to marry and were obliged to have the Banns proclaimed in the parish church.
(It wasn't until one hundred years later that the final Catholic Emancipation Act was passed, due to the refusal to allow a Corpus Christi procession on the streets of Carfin (Lanarkshire) in the 1920s).

My gt-gt-gt-grandparents were married in St Andrew's Catholic Church Glasgow in 1823. The entry in St Andrew's register has the information "The above parties were regularly proclaimed in the established church and produced a certificate to that effect from the session clerk, stating that no objections had been made against their intended marriage. They were also regularly proclaimed in the chapel here".
The established church record states they "Were married 21 July (1823) by Mr Andrew Scott Roman Catholic Clergyman in Glasgow".

Aberdeenshire was the heartland of Scottish Catholics and the clan Fraser was by tradition a Catholic clan.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.