Author Topic: smith/booth gypsies nottingham  (Read 54165 times)

Offline suzyrocket

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: smith/booth gypsies nottingham
« Reply #198 on: Monday 15 October 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
well hello distant relation lol my grandad was everete booth from selston , my mum was dinah booth  sadly is know longer with us ,  most of booths are buried in selston  grave yard  nottinghamshire were the gypsy king is buried   .

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Sarah Plumb...Nathan Plumbs sister
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline suzyrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Sarah Plumb...Nathan Plumbs sister
have you done a family tree ?

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, but I haven't got it online....I have a website but I haven't put the plumbs on there yet
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline Latimore33

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm researching Booth and Smith in Goole and  Rawcliffe. Betsy Booth who was a hawker, who married firstly to a chap named Coleman, and later to a Robert Smith. I've been unable to find her father Charles Booth (who is on both her marriage certificates). Whilst researching on a newspaper site I discovered Smith and Booth links at Rawcliffe and Snaith.

There is a Booth family using the name "Cynementy" at Rawcliffe, she is daughter of William Booth, hawker. He has nephew and niece William and Eliza.

Younger William was born in Nottingham, can't decipher place name on 1911 census.

I have also found 9th July 1887 newspaper 'Nottinghamshire Guardian', 'Everett Booth alias Plumb', aged 24, indicted for stealing a bay mare from Robert Watling of east Stoke. Found NOT GUILTY.

I also found him as 'Everard Booth' alias Plumb, horse dealer of Leicester, found guilty of being drunk at Leicester Abbey on 30th January 1886 with a chap called John Darker of Markfield (Leicester Chronicle feb 13th 1886) They were each fined 5 shillings, and 13 shillings costs, or 5 days in gaol!

There is another story from Nottingham Evening Post 10th November 1882, of Everett Booth and Henry Plumb damaging a hedge at West Brigford by jumping a horse over it. Everett is described as a 'horse dealer' and Henry his 'assistant' once again they were both fined. (Nottinghamshire Guardian).

In another appearance at court 9th Jan 1886 he was described as having "no fixed residence".

BUT, there is also a story 25 years previous to these, of two gipsies named James Booth and 'Everrit' Plumb, being drunk and fighting at Barkston, on trial at Belvoir Petty sessions July 1st 1861.(Leicester Chronicle again). They assaulted James Scofield, parish constable, in the execution of his duty. Fined £1 with 10 shillings and six pence costs.

They certainly are a colourful bunch!

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Sunday 12 October 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
In 1893 a John Plumb was at a fair in Grantham....A Mr Fletcher's Peep Show. A man named Henry Hughes hit John in the face for not stopping the organ :o
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline mrrse01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi . Don't know if thread is still live. Everett Plumb would have been  my 3x Great Uncle I've got on to part of my tree. Nathan plumb would have been my 3x great grandfather.

I have just come across Keziah Booth and her off spring, in which they would have been my 1st Cousins 3x re moved
So trying to find out more. My tree is on Ancestry as I couldn't trace any marriage records for Everett or Keziah  now I know why. Hope to hear from someone.

My 2x Great Grandmother was Violetta Plumb m: William Caunt, my Great Grandmother was Eliza Caunt 1851 Nottingham.

Regards
Eddie

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We have these people in our tree...
Our tree is also on ancestry.   I have some bits of info on them which I haven't looked at in ages.  If you want to PM me I could share them with you via email.
Kaziah
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline mrrse01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaziah. Many thanks for your prompt reply, and good to hear from you. I see this thread has been going quite a while and took the gamble that someone was still out there. Would be nice what ever info you have. My Ancestry is under the name Eddie Marris. Not sure if you can put your email address here but I'll give it a go as I am not sure how this site works yet.

eddie.marris@gmail.com

Regards

Eddie