Author Topic: Need Help! Looking for REDS ELLIOT  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Stisinger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help! Looking for REDS ELLIOT
« on: Sunday 17 November 13 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me in figuring out who Reds Elliot is? I have traced my family back to "Reds" Elliot. He was a member of the Elliot Clan in Scotland and of noble blood. Apparently he wanted to marry a commoner and his family refused so they fled to America. He never used his given first name when coming here and instead used his wife's name Hannah Prior (or Pryor). They had a bunch of children and they all took her last name of Prior instead of Elliot. Even the property documents, censuses, and any other paper work from that family was in her name. One genealogist who did in depth research found out about "Reds" and never got further. I'm able to find how the Elliot clan started, etc but I can't quite piece together the puzzle of what "Reds" first name was. I am stuck at this point until I can get his name. I have the "about" year of his birth at 1760. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help! Looking for REDS ELLIOT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to roots chat  are you a member of ancestry? there is  tree  there, IT does not have his parents on it but it does have a story about reds he was so called because of his red hair he was born England 1760 to an English noble family he fell in love with a welsh commoner they went to America where he died there is a little more to the story   regards

Offline Stisinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help! Looking for REDS ELLIOT
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to roots chat  are you a member of ancestry? there is  tree  there, IT does not have his parents on it but it does have a story about reds he was so called because of his red hair he was born England 1760 to an English noble family he fell in love with a welsh commoner they went to America where he died there is a little more to the story   regards

Thank you. I am a member. I just got up to Reds last week and have been doing research in the Elliot Clan ever since but have had no luck whittling down Reds real name. I would love to move further up the tree but it's becoming frustrating! :)