Author Topic: help with my irish ancesters living in wolverhampton  (Read 9462 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
help with my irish ancesters living in wolverhampton
« on: Monday 05 November 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all, my great great grandmother was named sarah casey born around august 1867 in wolverhampton she was living at 8 coles croft wolverhampton in 1871 with brother john casey aged 2 mother was mary (adelaide as middle name in later marriages) casey formelly stephens and grandparents david stephens and julia both both in castlebar county mayo ireland.
Sarah casey's mother mary adelaide remarried in 1877 to a james george and in 1871 she didnt have a husband living with her but doesnt state she was a widow, looking on family search i found sarah caseys baptism and brother john in 1867 and 1869 their father was joannis (john). The only death of a john casey i can find is q4 1868 in wolverhampton aged only 14! sarah caseys mom would of been 19 years old could sarah caseys dad only of been 12 when he married and have died at 14 with 2 children?
there is also a john casey living in 1871 census a few houses down at 20 coles croft aged 40 born ireland with another wie also called mary, on family search between 1865 and 1871 theres two lots of joannis caseys and maria (mary) as parents could john casey been married to two woman at the same time? the other joannis and maria (mary) i have found a marriage for in 1863, mine married in q1 1866

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
st patricks wolverhampton lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 12 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there a couple of lokups if possible please from st patrick catholic church wolverhampton
Baptism of sara (sarah) casey 18 august 1867 any info of parents etc would be great
marriage of joannis (john) and maria (mary) date not known but in q1 1866
and a burial of a john casey q4 1868 aged 14 any info such as ocuptions and addresses etc would be great

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: st patricks wolverhampton lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
any info of parents etc would be great

From the IGI entry

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQHN-CSZ

marriage of joannis (john) and maria (mary) date not known but in q1 1866

Freebmd shows her as Mary Stephens
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
hey thanks for the quick reply
Would the original baptism have the fathers occuption ?i believe he died before 1871 theres is a death in 1868 q4 wolverhampton aged on 14 could he be that young and be married with children?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 00:07 GMT (UK) »
wolverhampton aged on 14 could he be that young and be married with children?

That would mean he was 12yrs old when he married in 1866 so highly unlikely
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with my irish ancesters living in wolverhampton
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Mary, Sarah and John have a surname of CASELY?!

1871 census:
Reference RG10, Piece 2937, Folio 126, Page 25
8 Coles Croft, Wolverhampton

Stephens, David  Head  M  40  Coal Miner  b Ireland
Stephens, Julia  Wife  F  45  b Ireland
Casely, Mary  Daughter  Married  F  21  Plaster Cutter  b Wolverhampton
Stephens, Catherine  Daughter  F  19  Plaster Cutter  b Wolverhampton
Stephens, Mire(?)  Daughter    F  17  Plaster Cutter  b Wolverhampton
Stephens, John  Son  M  14  Scholar  b Wolverhampton
Stephens, Davis  Son  M  9  Scholar  b Wolverhampton
Casely, Sarah  Granddaughter  F  3  b Wolverhampton
Casely, John  Grandson  M  2  b Wolverhampton
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have found these burials in Merridale Cemetery

CASEY    Stillborn  abode: Coles Croft.    Buried:  28 Feb 1860, St.Mary.   Grave no. 8184
CASEY Mary 2 years old, buried 12 Mar 1868. Abode :Coles Croft St.Mary  Grave no. 11229b
CASEY Julia  49 years old , buried: 14 Feb 1869, abode  Coles Croft St.Mary. Grave no. 11554
CASEY John 2 years old, buried: 5 Feb 1871, abode: Coles Croft St.Mary. Grave no. 1232a

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hey thanks for the reply yes thats them sorry i didnt notice the spelling mistake on the 1871 census ive found them in 1851,61 and 71 census, although i cannot find david and julia in 1881 but theres a death for david stephens q1 1885 aged 57 wolverhampton hes the only david stephens in wolvehampton other than his son so it must be him could it be possible there visited ireland during 1881 census was taken?, their daughter (my 3x great nan) in 1881 was married to a james george living in 1 short street wolverhampton, ive had no problem tracing her throughout her life, im struggling to find a death for julia stephens and to find them in 1881.
Ive ordered the marriage certificate for john casey and mary stephens q1 1866 to see what aged john casey was and his fathers name.
The thing i cannot find a death for a john casey between 1868 and 1877 in wolverhampton other than q4 1868 for a 14 year old, and there was another john casey living in the same street in 1871 born around 1830 in ireland but married to another woman with children between them, so ethier my 3x great grandad died at 14 soon after birth of my 2x great nan sarah and brother john or did he have two wives was that aloud?

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks claire i dont think any of those are my family, i believe because mine were irish catholic they would be buried in a catholic church such as st patrick or st peter and st pauls?
regards dave